View Single Post
Unread 07-27-2015, 08:55 PM   #26
GH-16
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,308 Times in 446 Posts

I'm absolutely amazed that the letter for this gun was in my mail box today. I just sent for it on-line on the 23rd & it's here in Denver on the 27th.

There's good news and some gray area information contained in it.

The good news is the 27" barrel length is confirmed. One of the gray areas though is the barrel type is listed as Damascus. Then there is a notation that there was a $6.00 credit given for barrels furnished. Now I'm wondering if that was due to the Laminated steel tubes or the 27" length. I'm leaning toward the Laminated side!!

The potential not so good news is the length of pull was 13 3/4" when it shipped from Meridan. Now I have to get the gun in hand so I can see what LOP the gun is wearing now. The other interesting thing is the gun was returned to the fatcory in December of 1900 to take out dents, clean & rebrown, blue the iron parts, redress stock & forearm and clean out the checkering. I take it redress means to refinish, but I now wonder if the stock may have been shortened at that time also?

The gun was ordered by an L.H. Mayott of Springfield, MA. on Aug 8 1890 delivered Dec 1 1890. The gun was returned by Howard C. French of Northhampton, MA. on Dec 13, 1900

Anyone know anything about either of these men?

I was notified today that the gun has been shipped. Will post my findings after I inspect the gun.
Paul Ehlers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Ehlers For Your Post: