View Single Post
Unread 04-04-2015, 05:52 AM   #18
William Davis
PGCA Member

Member Info

I was not satisfied with BP's case mouth conditioning tools. Seemed to me friction and heat re formed the plastic Aluminum being slick needed pressure to increase friction. Plus wide mouth short case 10s point of the tool hit the primer pocket. Being tapered it tends to open the mouth too wide while leaving lower out of round. Does work well on smaller guages though.

Anyhow chucked up a piece of hard maple in the wood lathe turned shank to tight fit inside a 10 hull. Short tapered the end. It works real good I get perfect round mouths smooth inside using fired roll crimped cases Which makes for easy wad insertion loading. I should add I keep rolled and folded cases separate. Most of my rolled are cut down folded when the folds start to crack.

Not finished yet, you can't take wood out of the chuck and put it back in without runout. Since I have a lathe not a problem, turn a new one every session only takes a minute. Next step is make one up with a metal rod so it can be chucked in the drill press, and run true repeated. Will post a picture if new one works well.

William
William Davis is online now   Reply With Quote