Thread: Orvis
View Single Post
Unread 10-03-2014, 03:44 PM   #5
john pulis
PGCA Member

Member Info

We went to both and entered and shot SxS in both. We went to Orvis last year and it was a bit larger and better attended this year, at least it seemed more crowded. There were five SxS stations and shooters shot ten times for each presentation. It was well attended and there were plenty of SxS shooters moving from one station to the next. The vendor area seemed larger with all the usual dealers plus several local distillers, foods, and clothing.

Dover Furnace is a very nice venue and the stations and presentations for the SxS were organized
by bore, hammer, and hammerless. We had shot there back in June with the Vintagers but many of the stations/ presentations were different this time around keeping us on our toes. There were two large Vendor tents and several smaller stand alone with all the usually vendors. We attended the dinner on Saturday night and got meet many of the group and members of chapters near and far. It was a first class event and we will definitely be back for both next year. For those like myself who live downstate NY having the two one week apart was a real bonus, plus the Vintagers fell on a holiday weekend for those of us in education in NY so we had Thursday and Friday off to play.

We could never attend when the Vintagers were in MD, just too far and I hope they stay at Dover for a few years before moving on.

The piper should get a Medal of Honor for endurance and the tunes added to the overall ambiance and it was kind of neat to see shooters in kilts of various tartans. I like Lagavulin, does that me Scottish?
john pulis is offline   Reply With Quote