Thread: A family Parker
View Single Post
Unread 06-09-2013, 10:41 PM   #22
Patrick Hanna
Forum Associate

Member Info

Hi, Wayne. It might come to that. But right now the stock finish is really pretty darn good to my eyes. I sure hate to take all that off if I can avoid it. Unfortunately for me, the only alternative will be q-tips and meticulous work in the inlets. I'll do a little experimenting in a very conservative manner. If necessary, then a total bath and scrub down. I'm real good at finishing wood, but, dang, I hate to take the current finish off this stock if I can avoid it. Thanks for the suggestion, though.
In the long run, it might be the simplest route. I really do appreciate your input.

Anyone got any pics of clean laminated steel barrels, looking as they should? I've seen a number of barrels on the site that are achingly beautiful, but polished down pretty far. I'd sure rather leave as much of the barrel finish as possible on this one. Not sure it's possible. I'd like to see some pics that will give me a goal to aim for. I think you know what I mean.

Oh...good news today. In a very early post, I described some blobs of something on the right barrel, which might have been solder, or might have been blobs of the shellac. They were shellac. They softened up and came right off. Whew!

Patrick
Patrick Hanna is offline   Reply With Quote