Thread: off face
View Single Post
Unread 04-13-2013, 09:39 PM   #16
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,797 Times in 3,968 Posts

the barrel lug on the barrel especially a large heavy barrel can cause the gun to be off face...the mills 8 ga parker he got at silent auction was off face a 1/4 inch and im not eagirating a bit...the barrel lug was loose on this gun it would slide a little more than a 1/4 inch it had been fixed at a bunch of times with siver soilder and one time with brass rods..ive got it back on face really good on the right side but its still off a little on the rite barrel it shoots fine but the lug i believe has been waroped over the years ive redone the barrel lug 3 times and believe me that think as to be down to hundreds of thousand before it will shut properly...this was the big 8 problem the barrel lug...and ive got another lifter 8 ga parker thats off face a hair and ill bet a nickel against a doughnut hole that its got the same problem...i doubt if this ever happens to a small bore gun because they are not barrel end heavy...but its my opinion that this is why a lot of heavy long barrel gun get off face like heavy barrel 12 ga and 10 ga and espically the 8 ga...the old gun im shooting now the mills guns fireing pins could not reach the shell it was so bad and it would not even britch it was so off face...i hope some body else like brian or one of the other boys that truly no how to put a parker back on face will comment on the heavy barrel theory i have causing the big gun to get off face..i know for sure that the barrel lug has broken loose it will get off face in a hurry i have a gun to prove it... hope i did not try to steal the thread.... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post: