Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   A Crazy Relative's Gun? (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=41134)

Garry L Gordon 02-03-2024 04:40 PM

A Crazy Relative's Gun?

4 Attachment(s)
I know that I'm related to the Duke of Gordon, generally credited with developing the Gordon setter, but I'm not sure about the eccentric Charles Gordon who ordered so many anachronistic guns from John Dickson and Sons.

Some time back I purchased this nice Jones Lever gun, a ten bore, that was supposed to have been one of Charles Gordon's many guns. Dicksons confirmed that the gun was ordered by Gordon. It has had its original barrels replaced by Dicksons with a very nice 30 inch set. I had hoped to take it to the duck marsh this past season, but things didn't work out. I hope there's a next year.

I love the wood and stock dimensions on this 1880s gun.

Donald F. Mills 02-03-2024 05:08 PM

That stock is a thing of beauty

Wayne Owens 02-03-2024 05:16 PM

That case is also a thing of beauty!

Keith Sirmans 02-03-2024 05:44 PM

That is some kinda nice case too. Wow!

Kevin McCormack 02-03-2024 05:49 PM

That fitted case with all accessories makes me want to smoke a fine imported cigar.

Ken Hill 02-03-2024 07:21 PM

Great looking bit of kit! Charles Gordon showed you can become broke buying guns. When he died and his estate was sold off the guns made very little compared to the purchase price. The sad thing he is he never used them.

Ken

Garry L Gordon 02-03-2024 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Hill (Post 404637)
Great looking bit of kit! Charles Gordon showed you can become broke buying guns. When he died and his estate was sold off the guns made very little compared to the purchase price. The sad thing he is he never used them.

Ken

Ken, J. P. Daeschler has an interesting theory about Gordon's relationship with Dicksons. He believes that Dickson took advantage of Gordon and "suggested" some of the anachronistic creations that he ended up ordering. An interesting notion, for sure.

Gordon was an interesting guy, to say the least.

Ken Hill 02-03-2024 09:06 PM

Garry,

A person loaned me the Gordon book by Dallas. If you haven’t read it, it’s a very interesting read. Dallas agrees that Dickson probably took advantage of him. Time for a scotch.

Ken

Mike Koneski 02-04-2024 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin McCormack (Post 404634)
That fitted case with all accessories makes me want to smoke a fine imported cigar.

Kevin, I didn’t know you needed an excuse to smoke a fine imported cigar? :rotf:

Garry L Gordon 02-04-2024 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Hill (Post 404646)
Garry,

A person loaned me the Gordon book by Dallas. If you haven’t read it, it’s a very interesting read. Dallas agrees that Dickson probably took advantage of him. Time for a scotch.

Ken

Ken, I have the book, and the story it reveals about Gordon is, to me, a sad one. It's easy to see how his early life may have resulted in some emotional issues that caused his erratic behavior.

I hope that before you drank your scotch you toasted your bird season and those two fine dogs of yours (and that nice 20 bore Dickson!).

Garry