Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Shotgun Shell Reloading (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Updated data with BP1044 wad. (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=39361)

Jeff Sweeter 06-03-2023 01:19 PM

Updated data with BP1044 wad.

3 Attachment(s)
Hers is some data Tom Armbrust and I put together with Tom's permission to post it here.It mostly involves the new BP1044 10 gauge wad from Ballistic Products.If any of you have tried these wads yet you will notice they are a bit smaller in diameter than the SP10 wads and therefore is a chance of powder migration in certain hulls with certain powders.So I sent Tom a bunch of hulls and components and he assembled them for me trying different gas seals beneath the wad,over the powder.The loads with a X10X wad,same as a GualandiGS10 gas seal really performed well with very little variance in pressure or velocity.We also tried some with a discontinued Alcan PGS gas seal,and some with a nitro card beneath the wad for reference.Tom also fired a few vintage paper factory shells he had on hand for reference.

Jeff Sweeter 06-03-2023 01:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a pic of the Alcan gas seals.Jeff

Jeff Sweeter 06-03-2023 01:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's the rest of the tests we did.Forgot to load them on first post.Some of these loads were probably tested before with a SP10 wad.I took a few of these from my loading data book,but not sure who had them tested previously.

Keith Doty 06-03-2023 06:14 PM

Interesting. I recently got a bag and have not had time to fool with them. Thanks for the info!

neil steven 06-04-2023 06:06 AM

If the new BP1044 is the exact same as the original Wagner 10G wad in cup diameter then it will be a loose fit - notably in Cheddite hull.
I did not have much success in trying to form a flare on the rim of the Wagner overpowder cup as it is a thick and firm plastic.
I found card o/p cups to be effective in preventing powder migration but did have to reduce powder charge - this being in 2oz lead loads.

Jeff, thank you for posting your data.

Alex Dawes 12-22-2023 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Sweeter (Post 389733)
Hers is some data Tom Armbrust and I put together with Tom's permission to post it here.It mostly involves the new BP1044 10 gauge wad from Ballistic Products.If any of you have tried these wads yet you will notice they are a bit smaller in diameter than the SP10 wads and therefore is a chance of powder migration in certain hulls with certain powders.So I sent Tom a bunch of hulls and components and he assembled them for me trying different gas seals beneath the wad,over the powder.The loads with a X10X wad,same as a GualandiGS10 gas seal really performed well with very little variance in pressure or velocity.We also tried some with a discontinued Alcan PGS gas seal,and some with a nitro card beneath the wad for reference.Tom also fired a few vintage paper factory shells he had on hand for reference.

Jeff, thanks for these. I tried out the Remington hull, X10X, BP1044, 30 grain Longshot, with 1 1/4 ounce load and it patterned great. I killed a few ducks with it in the last weeks using #3 and #4 bismuth.

Pete Lester 12-23-2023 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Sweeter (Post 389735)
Here's the rest of the tests we did.Forgot to load them on first post.Some of these loads were probably tested before with a SP10 wad.I took a few of these from my loading data book,but not sure who had them tested previously.

Jeff was the Alcan .135 nitro card under the SP10 wad or was it a smaller gauge card inside the shot cup of the SP10 wad? FWIW I have never had a problem that I know of with powder migration or effective gas seal with an SP10 wad and wonder why it would need to be placed under it.

Jeff Sweeter 12-23-2023 04:03 PM

Hello Pete, for these examples the nitro cards were placed over the powder,and under the SP10 and BP1044 wads as a comparison.The BP1044 wads are a little smaller in diameter than the SP10 wads and can possibly lead to powder migration.With these proven loads it takes powder migration OUT of the equation completely.Hope this answers your question.Good hunting and Merry Christmas,Jeff.

CraigThompson 12-23-2023 11:50 PM

Jeff you also tried the BPI 10 gauge plastic gas seals under their wad and migration was cleared up as well ?

Pete Lester 12-24-2023 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Sweeter (Post 401574)
Hello Pete, for these examples the nitro cards were placed over the powder,and under the SP10 and BP1044 wads as a comparison.The BP1044 wads are a little smaller in diameter than the SP10 wads and can possibly lead to powder migration.With these proven loads it takes powder migration OUT of the equation completely.Hope this answers your question.Good hunting and Merry Christmas,Jeff.

Thanks for the info. I read on a FB reloading page a guy claimed he stopped the powder migration by placing an oversize piece of paper towel under the 1044 wad. I have never tried it myself but I know sometimes a fix can be more simple than I realize.