Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Parker Hammer Guns (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   An Interesting Parker (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=37648)

Hayes Wallace 10-30-2022 04:00 PM

An Interesting Parker

5 Attachment(s)
My dad picked this up from a long time family friend prior to his passing, I don't know if anyone here might have any insight on it but I figured I would share. I forgot to to get the SN off of it but will text him and ask!

Brian Dudley 10-30-2022 04:04 PM

Most Wells Fargo marked guns are bogus. It is a way to increase the value of a cut down gun.

Hayes Wallace 10-30-2022 04:32 PM

I'm reading through the other forums and that seems to be the consensus. Seems like even if it was real it'd be pretty difficult to prove. SN is 51426.

Dave Noreen 10-30-2022 07:07 PM

The "Research Letter" section off the home page shows there are surviving records for 51426, so you could get a letter on the gun.

When it comes to Wells Fargo guns, the only ones I'd trust are the Ithaca doubles in the serial number blocks known to have been ordered by WF.

Rick Losey 10-30-2022 08:13 PM

and what are the odds WF would buy anything but the basic grade to hand to a guard

Stan Hillis 10-31-2022 05:30 AM

If that one is bogus someone went to a lot of trouble creating that shield on the wrist, and creating the faux patina on it.

Just an observation, not an opinion on authenticity.

Dean Romig 10-31-2022 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Losey (Post 374569)
and what are the odds WF would buy anything but the basic grade to hand to a guard

Right Rick - and that one is a Grade 2.

Rick Losey 10-31-2022 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stan Hillis (Post 374587)
If that one is bogus someone went to a lot of trouble creating that shield on the wrist, and creating the faux patina on it.

Just an observation, not an opinion on authenticity.

Stan, it would not surprise me at all if this one was done up by a cowboy action shooter - the effort done for show not necessarily for value

heck did Wells Fargo go that far to ID their guns back then :corn:

Jerry VanHorn 10-31-2022 08:45 AM

A few years ago, I was at the South Florida Antique Show in West Palm..I walked by a vendor that dealt mostly in brass items. He had a whole box of those identical...including San Francisco..Wells Fargo items. I bought a few..j..

Arthur Shaffer 10-31-2022 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry VanHorn (Post 374595)
A few years ago, I was at the South Florida Antique Show in West Palm..I walked by a vendor that dealt mostly in brass items. He had a whole box of those identical...including San Francisco..Wells Fargo items. I bought a few..j..

That was my first guess too. That shield would require a stamp to make and is probably an original or reproduction; likely not even from a gun. I'm betting the action shooter idea is correct. They all shorten barrels, open bores, and a big part of the competition is the persona they use. It is required by the rules and many of those guys put more emphesis on the outfit and accessories than the shooting. THey are in it for the play rather than the competition.