Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Parker Discussions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Ever shoot clay targets with #9 shot? (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=32765)

Phil Yearout 03-15-2021 03:58 PM

Ever shoot clay targets with #9 shot?

Visited my local Cabela's today and they had one - count 'em, one - box of target loads; Herters in 9 shot. I picked them up; I will shoot them in my SBT sometime. Hopefully the shot won't bounce off the targets :rotf:!

John Davis 03-15-2021 04:03 PM

I've used 9's and 8.5's for the first shot in doubles trap. Worked pretty well.

James L. Martin 03-15-2021 04:16 PM

Went to Cabela's in PA. a few days ago no target loads at all a few 28ga hunting loads and maybe 8 boxes of 20ga #5 hunting loads.Lots 12ga buckshot or slugs .No 22 ammo, some 33 Nosler and lots of 308. No primers of any type. No shot, a few bottles of Longshot and one 1lb of 700x which I bought. Also bought 4 boxes of clay targets. People just walking around looking at the empty shelves.

Rick Losey 03-15-2021 04:18 PM

Phil--

9's was a pretty standard skeet load in Winchester AA's once upon a time - those are clay targets

i've shot "clays" with 9's on the shorter range/ small bore courses -

they work just fine

Dean Romig 03-15-2021 05:06 PM

#9 is perfectly okay in warmer weather but I have found it inadequate in sub-freezing weather. Too many “dusted” targets due to insufficient mass needed to break the colder/harder clays.

Bruce Hering 03-15-2021 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Losey (Post 328981)
Phil--

9's was a pretty standard skeet load in Winchester AA's once upon a time - those are clay targets

i've shot "clays" with 9's on the shorter range/ small bore courses -

they work just fine

I shot 9's on skeet all the time. My chokes are cyl and Lt. IC. Thats cyl in and IC out. My IC measures .009.

I hunt woodcock with 9's almost exclusively with 8 1/2 second barrel sometimes.

I won the Texas State NSCA AA Class Sporting clays 410 championship years ago with all Remington 8 1/2's and IC/Mod out of Briley sub gauge tubes. There were two ribbit targets on that course at about 20 or so yards.

So, yea, 9's will break targets and kill birds. I dont know about cold temps but down to the freezing mark they still worked good for me. If its a concern, tighten the choke if ya can. More shot on target.

Dave Noreen 03-15-2021 05:34 PM

3 Attachment(s)
#9s have been the "standard" skeet load from the early 1930s. When Remington first introduced their Nitro Club Skeet Loads they were #8s, but by 1932 they were #9s --

Attachment 94229

Attachment 94230

Attachment 94231

Dave Noreen 03-15-2021 05:48 PM

I shot a lot of Skeet in Alaska in pretty darn cold weather with #9 AAs. At our registered shoots in the winter we went out as three-man squads, shot fifty birds, and came back into the club house to warm up while another three-man squad went out and shot fifty. Then back out to shoot our second fifty. When I was stationed in Alaska we got better turn outs for our registered shoots in the dead of winter than in the summer when fish were in the streams, berries needed picking and then hunting seasons began.

Phil Yearout 03-15-2021 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James L. Martin (Post 328980)
Went to Cabela's in PA. a few days ago no target loads at all a few 28ga hunting loads and maybe 8 boxes of 20ga #5 hunting loads.Lots 12ga buckshot or slugs .No 22 ammo, some 33 Nosler and lots of 308. No primers of any type. No shot, a few bottles of Longshot and one 1lb of 700x which I bought. Also bought 4 boxes of clay targets. People just walking around looking at the empty shelves.

Interestingly this'n had maybe 10-12 boxes of 16ga #6's; if I didn't already have a cabinet full of them I woulda grabbed those. Then, a few boxes of 28's and a few boxes of rifle calibers that I'd never heard of. A couple boxes of some sort of space-age blast 'em 12ga ammo. Nothing of any use to me, and the ammo area which used to take up 3-4 full aisles was filled up with concealed carry handbags and the like. I had to hunt for the ammo and actually thought they had absolutely zero!
I probably should go back and grab those 16's - I could shoot my sxs's in trap league I guess!

Harold Lee Pickens 03-15-2021 07:35 PM

I still have 3-4 cases of AA #9 skeet in 20 ga. I will use them at Hausmann's and Koneski's. They are great cases for reloading. Work fine for me on small bore sporting clays--I dont like to hunt with them, they kill, but too many pellets in the meat.