Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Parker Restoration (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   A VH built to suit (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=20045)

Brian Dudley 10-24-2016 09:53 AM

A VH built to suit

10 Attachment(s)
I am posting this at request of the owner who is a member here, but does not post much.

I just finished up and returned this VH as a custom restoration. It all started as the owner looking for a high condition original gun, but he was not able to find something that was in his parameters of requirements since he also wanted to shoot the gun. He was not opposed to a quality restored gun however, so he just said to me, lets build something that is XYZ and looks like new. And I was tasked with finding the gun as well.

The only basic parameters were a 2 frame 30" VH with Double triggers and matching numbers with chokes at least modified or tighter. All wood and metal finishes were going to be replaced and restored, so the outward condition was not too important. Obviously, good bores and wall thickness was the most important thing.

After the donor gun was found and purchased, I set out to build the gun that he wanted. It featured, 30" barrels. 2 frame with target weight of 8 lbs. or more. the gun ended up weighing exactly 8 lbs. and balances at the hinge pin. Wood that is a little fancier than what would be on a VH, but not too over the top. The blank chosen was a highly colored piece of American Walnut. Made to his required dimensions (relatively modern, but a little longer LOP at 14-3/4" and 1/8" of cast-off), a Fuller Comb, Beavertail forend, Red Silvers recoil pad, Choked I/C and Mod.

The below photos are the end result. A fully restored gun built to the customers specifications looking the way it would have when it was bought new, or even better in some ways. All stock work, metal polishing, screw replacement, engraving touchups and rust/nitre bluing were done in house. Case colors by Turnbull and chokes cut by Orlen.

Attachment 50805

Attachment 50806

Attachment 50808

Attachment 50809

Attachment 50810

Attachment 50811

Attachment 50812

Attachment 50813

Attachment 50814

Attachment 50815

Dean Romig 10-24-2016 10:08 AM

Very nice work Brian!

And congratulations to the new owner!

Stephen Hodges 10-24-2016 11:32 AM

Beautifully Done, Brian. And I love the slim beavertail.

Ben Loup 10-24-2016 11:45 AM

A VH built to suit

I am very fortunate to be the new owner of this fine Parker. As Brian said I had some specific ideas about what I wanted in this gun. After speaking with Brian, I was comfortable that we were on the same page. The next step was for him to find a suitable donor gun that would make the project economically possible. Brian worked on this for a long while,examining 3 guns, before he found one that was suitable in his eyes. Although this project took awhile,I always felt like I was kept aware of his progress. I am extremely happy with the end results. The weight and balance of the gun is perfect and the fuller comb and specified stock dimensions are just what I envisioned. I have been looking at Brian's work on this site for quite awhile and can tell you now first hand that he is an excellent craftsman.

Jeff Higgins 10-26-2016 06:59 PM

A VH built to suit

Very nice work Brian. And congrats to you Ben. I would love to own that VH. What a great gun to shoot Sporting Clays with.

Jerry Harlow 10-26-2016 07:23 PM

Noticed that the chokes were to be "at least modified or tighter," but Mike Orlen apparently opened the chokes to IC/Mod. Why the change of heart?

Beautiful gun and work.

Brian Dudley 10-26-2016 08:39 PM

I was to locate a gun with at least modified chokes, because the plan was always to have them opened to I/C and mod.

Since most 30" guns are M/F or F/F (which this one was full).

Sure, it would have been nice to find a donor gun with the choking desired, but i wasnt holding my breath for one to come along.

edgarspencer 10-27-2016 06:48 PM

Very nice piece off lumber

Paul Ehlers 10-30-2016 07:42 PM

Extremely nice job all the way around !!

WmRike 10-31-2016 09:38 AM

Gorgeous!

Does the forend use a reinforcing rod?