Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Long range patterning (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=12584)

Frank Srebro 01-31-2014 01:19 PM

Long range patterning

This came out of a discussion on the Fox site regarding patterning of non-tox shot at long ranges. Might be of iinterest to others interested in long range performance and I'll copy it here fwiw.

> Anyone interested in long range patterning of Supers etc might get one of these template gizmos made up. Made of 1/16" butyrate by a friend in the plastics biz who has a laser cutter - but a template could be made by a careful craftsman with a jig saw. Sorry for the lack of contrast on the carpeting but the template is transparent. I've put on a piece of blue tape to show the difference between the 30" diameter outer circle, and a 20" diameter inner one that's particularly useful to check for a so-called "hot center" (pellet density in the center 20" circle versus in the larger/standard 30" circle). That blue tape is 5" long.

In practice you place a mark on your patterning paper at the normal 40 yards, shoot at the mark with gun held to the shoulder in normal position, then overlay and center the template over the BULK of the pellet pattern. Use a table and draw the two circles with a pencil. That will let you see the center of the pattern versus your aiming point, and see how far your point of impact deviates from point of aim. Using a Super-Fox or something like an thaca Super 10 - I'll normally just count the pellets that missed the 30" circle and subtract from the average number of pellets in the shell (less counting). Then do the math for pattern percentage. You should do a "composite" of 3 or better yet 5 shots and average to get a good count - owing to an aberrant shot that might produce a random high/low count for some reason. Trying to determine pattern percentage with only one shot will often give an erroneous % number.

For our long range experimenters .........

http://i1044.photobucket.com/albums/...ps9d253559.jpg

Bill Murphy 01-31-2014 03:19 PM

Is the area of the center circle identical to the area of the outer circle? I didn't do the math.

Frank Srebro 01-31-2014 04:09 PM

The 20" center concept was shown to me by a noted barrelsmith, now passed, and is useful to evaluate what might otherwise be thought of as comparable patterning loads. Area of the 20" circle is about 80% of the "donut" formed by the 20 and 30" circles.

Dean Romig 01-31-2014 06:27 PM

The 20" circle (314 sq. in.) is less than half the area of the 30" circle (696.5 sq. in.) The area of the 5" wide band between the 20" dia. and the 30" dia. is 381.5 sq. in.

It's deceiving to look at it and try to guess at the areas. gotta put a slide rule to it.

CraigThompson 01-31-2014 07:10 PM

I never was enamored with patterns as such . I was always more intrested in point of impact .

Dean Romig 01-31-2014 07:21 PM

No kidding Craig?

The point of impact of which pellet then?

Frank Srebro 01-31-2014 07:23 PM

I came up with 314 sq in for the 20" circle, 707 for the 30" circle, and 393 for the band or donut as I called it.

314/393 = 80%.

CraigThompson 01-31-2014 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Romig (Post 129044)
No kidding Craig?

The point of impact of which pellet then?

The center of the shot cluster in relation to the aiming point .

NO KIDDING :bigbye:

When you say pattern I see images of people sitting at tables laying the target out in different quadrants etc etc and then counting pellet percentages . While great if a person wants to do it , it ain't for me .

Dean Romig 01-31-2014 10:02 PM

Okay, thanks :bigbye:

Rick Losey 01-31-2014 10:12 PM

what ever happened to Dr Pepper cans?