Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Hunting with Parkers (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   I dub thee "Bog Devil " (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=25485)

chris dawe 10-16-2018 07:06 PM

I dub thee "Bog Devil "

3 Attachment(s)
In honor of Destry's "Swamp Angel"...I had a very fortunate opportunity of an invite to Delta marsh in Manitoba to shoot ducks ,not being an avid duck hunter I struggled as to what to gun to bring ,it had to be a sxs no doubt ,and remembering the few boxes of 12 gauge 2 3/4 tungsten matrix #3 shot along with some bismuth #6 I scored a few years ago it had to be a 12 gauge ...I then remembered a fine set of 32 inch vulcan steel bbls I got in trade from Mr .Hornacek ,and remembered they were a very close fit to my already restored grade 2 -2 frame ten gauge ...the pressure was on to fit them up between paying work ,I cut it so close I never even got to shoot the gun other test fire before I got on the plane!

To say I was happy with the gun,my new friends and my stay at Sports Afield lodge would be a drastic understatement ,the lodge is steeped to the rafters in history hosting the likes of Clark Gable ,Babe Ruth ,King George V,and many many more ,the guides at the lodge were top notch -all local Metis and their wives cooked incredible meals in the kitchen ....the Bog Devil ,well he spoke for himself ,over and over again !!! I shot the gun better than anything I own !!! (on ducks that is ,the afternoon I spent chasing woodcock with a 9lb 32 inch gun was embarrassing to say the least )

chris dawe 10-16-2018 07:09 PM

4 Attachment(s)
a couple more ...

chris dawe 10-16-2018 07:16 PM

4 Attachment(s)
and the lodge ...

chris dawe 10-16-2018 07:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
and i'm not sure if this has ever been posted here ...Clark Gable(holding his parker ) shooting on Lake Manitoba ,with Jimmy Robertson 1940

Mills Morrison 10-16-2018 07:18 PM

Very nice

Kevin McCormack 10-16-2018 07:19 PM

Outstanding story and photos Chris - thanks so much for sharing! The images are great - especially the duckboat filled with bag, the icy scene setting decoys, cattails, and the smokey pipe! And of course the proper gun for it all! We are eagerly awaiting similar conditions and opportunities down here on the Chesapeake - praying for just enough cold and snow sometime soon.

charlie cleveland 10-16-2018 08:11 PM

chris looks like you done well...great pictures great storey andstepping in the foot prints of some really famous people....love the name of the new duck gun...charlie

Randy G Roberts 10-16-2018 08:24 PM

That's good stuff. A great lodge with a lot of history, shooting ducks with a Parker, enjoying a great smoke at the same time, I bet that is one hunt you will remember for the rest of your life. If I ever find a gun that I can shoot that makes me want to name it the"Clay Devil. If I ever find one I can shoot that is. Thanks for posting.

Dean Romig 10-17-2018 10:09 AM

Thanks for sharing all those great pictures for the rest of us “commoners” to enjoy and appreciate. What a wonderful outing that looks to have been. Often the places we go and the people we meet can trump the bag we take.

John Dallas 10-17-2018 10:23 AM

"trump"? Thought we were going non-political here. In this case, I think it should be applauded