Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   New User Introductions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   New Member from North Florida (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=30982)

Stefan Grow 08-23-2020 02:29 PM

New Member from North Florida

Hey folks,

New member here from rural North Florida area. Recently came in to a beautiful near unused condition 16ga Parker VHE. Amazing engraving and quite fancy wood. Been an admirer for a while, but never owned a Parker. Previously shot with a Fox or some English sxs guns.

I'm a prolific upland hunter. I chase wild quail around the southeast with two pointers. One from Elhew/Black Ice bloodlines and the other Erin's Braveheart and Melrose Huckabuck lines. Hotrod dogs that live on the sofa.

We hunt Montana and Minnesota early season and I can't wait to take this Parker on our hunting trip in October.

I understand membership is pushing for some younger members, so you've got one here - mid 30's (is that still young?).

Just submitted for my gun's letter and can't wait to connect more with this community.

Regards,

SG

Dean Romig 08-23-2020 02:35 PM

Welcome Sir!

No, you're not too old to be considered youthful - especially compared to a lot of the old-timers here. It was only recently (within the last decade) that I began to question my own youth.... Seems I need to pop more ibuprophen after each three or four hour grouse and woodcock trek.... But that's just incidental.

Congratulations on that Parker! We sure would like to see some pictures of it.

Regards, Dean

Stefan Grow 08-23-2020 03:55 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Let’s see if this works for uploading photos. Serial is 24xxxx.

Dean Romig 08-23-2020 05:01 PM

I like your gun a lot! That’s a nicely done upgrade of a VH. I have pictures of another VH upgrade that is so similar in the execution of the engraving it may have been done by the same hand.

Very nice and you’ll be proud to shoot birds with it and show it to your friends.

Brian Dudley 08-23-2020 07:29 PM

The wood is very attractive and not out of the ordinary for a later VH. The wood is original to the gun. The engraving is not. Just the graver walk (zig-zag borders) are original to the VH. Everything else is an embellishment, added at a later time by someone in order to try and dress the gun up, or something.

Stefan Grow 08-23-2020 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Dudley (Post 310323)
The wood is very attractive and not out of the ordinary for a later VH. The wood is original to the gun. The engraving is not. Just the graver walk (zig-zag borders) are original to the VH. Everything else is an embellishment, added at a later time by someone in order to try and dress the gun up, or something.

Thanks! I assume it is not uncommon for the guns to have additional engraving added later?

Brian Dudley 08-23-2020 08:54 PM

It is not typical.

Dean Romig 08-23-2020 10:20 PM

4 Attachment(s)
This is the one I mentioned earlier with similar engraving. Very likely to have been engraved by the same person.

Harold Lee Pickens 08-24-2020 06:50 AM

Very nice Stephan, a great first Parker--be careful, they can be addicting. Keep an eye on the PGCA forums, very informative, and I have certainly met alot of friends over the 10 yrs or so, that I have been involved with it. I got my first Parker, a VH 16, when I was probably 31, am 66 now, and have 3 20's, 4 16's, and a 12. I have 3 English setters over which I hunt grouse, woodcock, pheasant and quail.
I recall another VH 20 upgrade similarly engraved owned by another PGCA member, that he loaned to my buddy to shoot at Drakes Landing a few yrs ago.

Dean Romig 08-24-2020 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stefan Grow (Post 310333)
Thanks! I assume it is not uncommon for the guns to have additional engraving added later?

It’s not common at all.