Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Hunting with Parkers (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Turkey Report (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=23930)

charlie cleveland 05-12-2018 09:42 PM

nice bird and what a view...i would hate to climb into that canyon to retrieve a big bird....charlie

Bob Hayes 05-12-2018 11:01 PM

Wow Phil what a view.Now thats a tag of a lifetime.

Phillip Carr 05-13-2018 02:06 AM

Definity a very neat place to hunt. Charlie the first climb back out with the turkeys is the worse. :whistle:

Todd Poer 05-13-2018 07:39 AM

I'll bet 20 plus pounds added as dead weight would add to complexity of the walk out. But that will just be part of the memory and that bird will taste that much better.

I am a self proclaimed connoisseur of barbecue and I have tried and proven fact about what it takes to make a great experience and call it The Declaration of BBQ. It is a precedent setting case law of the land that simply states "the quality of the BBQ experience is equal or proportionate to some degree of suffering." Whether it be in the making of it, the journey to get there, or the surroundings. I stumbled across my theory now proven fact by peer review when we were told about a BBQ joint that was in a very rough part of town, across from the street from Federal pen in Atlanta, in a building that would not let my dog stay at, had to wait in line to get served behind politicians and a flock of attorneys, it was hot and there was no air conditioning and it was some damn fine barbecue.

I think Turkey hunting has some similarities or features that go with my BBQ Law.

Oh by the way the First Axiom to my BBQ law is that they also must serve some sort of a banana flavored desert. Banana pudding is preferred, but did find some of the best road side barbecue I have ever had but obviously they did not have the pudding, but luckily the convenience store nearby that had bars in front of all things glass and even had signature buckshot pellet indention's in front of the cashiers plexi glass did have a banana flavored Moon Pie.:)

Bob Hayes 05-13-2018 07:56 AM

Hey Phil how far down the canyon can you hear a gobble.I guess if the gobbler is on top of the rim and your below you might not hear him.Or vice versa I'm sure the gobblers use the terrain to their advantage.

Phillip Carr 05-13-2018 07:23 PM

I was kind of joking about the climb out of the canyon. Its darn rough country. That said we hunt just off the boundary to the Grand Canyon. I know for sure you can hear a gobbler over a mile. ( if the wind is not blwing. ) we use a coyote howling call to get the turkeys to shock gobble. We regularly can hear gobblers responding over a mile +.

Bob Hayes 05-13-2018 09:59 PM

Now thats just great Phil another thing to do on bucket list.Hearing and gobbler on the rim of the Grand Canyon.Got to be one hell of hunt even if the birds don't cooperate.

Dean Romig 05-13-2018 10:13 PM

Phil, have you had any success calling a keyed up longbeard from that kind of distance?

A few years ago in Vt a big ol gobbler answered my lonesome hen yelps from over a half mile away. Closer and closer he came to my beckoning pleas and when he was about to cross through the last wooded fencerow into the field I was sitting at the far edge of from him BLAM!!

And that was the end of him. Another hunter was concealed in that fencerow...

Phillip Carr 05-13-2018 11:15 PM

Dean about the furthest I have called a turkey was the one I shot this year out of the deep canyon which was 500 yards. We have located turkeys at about a mile and then closed the distance and then closed the deal.
Its big country out here so a typical morning if we havent roosted one the night before is to try to drive around and shock one into gobbling, park the truck, set the GPS so I can find my way back to the truck. Surprizing how well you can hear a gobble on a cold wind free morning.
Then using a headlamp try to hustle as fast as possible to get to the Gobbler. I like to try to get within 200 yards or closer with out spooking him. Then a few tree yelps and hopefully get him to fly down in our direction. It only works for me about 15% of the time if they are around hens. I sure wish I was more experienced but I keep learning.

Dean Romig 05-14-2018 08:24 AM

Same here Phil. I began turkey hunting when Vt opened the section I hunt in 2002 I believe. Every time I hunt them I learn more about their behavior.