Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Parker Reproductions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Parker Repro 28g barrel length preference (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=19806)

Gary Andrews 09-13-2016 03:58 PM

Parker Repro 28g barrel length preference

Gentlemen,
Does anyone have an opinion on barrel length, 26" v 28", on the Parker Repro 28g guns?
I have been in the market for a nice Repro with 28" tubes thinking they would be preferable to the 26" tubes that seem to be more readily available.
My wish list gun is a 28g, straight grip, double trigger, SFE, with 28" tubes but they seem to be incredibly scarce or am I chasing something that isn't worth the effort?
Thanks in advance for everyone's input.

Kenny Graft 09-13-2016 06:15 PM

Stand alone 28ga. guns with 28" tubes are much harder to find than two barrel set with 26" and 28" tubes. They are out there and will come available if you search hard and often. Plan to pay going price to get one unless your real lucky! say 48-5200.00 for one barrel set 28" like you want...Also its very rare to find any other factory chokes than Mod/Full SXS Ohio

Bob Jurewicz 09-13-2016 06:25 PM

If I have the gun mounted I really can't tell the difference between 26 and 28.
Too much is made of barrel length in "hunting" guns.
Bob Jurewicz

Jeff O'Neill 09-13-2016 08:44 PM

I've got a 28 ga two barrel set, 26" and 28", that I use for pointed quail. I much prefer the balance of the 28" barrels. My preference may be exacerbated by my need for a much longer LOP, which I get via a strap-on leather butt pad filled with a couple layers of carpet backing.

Dean Romig 09-13-2016 09:43 PM

The 26" Repros and the 28" Repros, of the same configuration except barrel length, handle so similarly that I would defy anyone to tell which is which if he were blindfolded. Aesthetics is generally the deciding factor among those who prefer one length over the other.

Bill Murphy 09-14-2016 04:44 PM

Buy a two barrel set and you will be rewarded in the future.

Jay Gardner 09-14-2016 08:57 PM

Hunted my two-barreled set for years. Never noticed the difference between the 26" and 28" barrels in the grouse woods and the grouse and woodcock in my gamebag never noticed either.

Sam Ogle 09-15-2016 12:12 PM

I have had a 26" single trigger pistol-grip splinter I used for skeet, doves, and other upland game.
I currently have a 28" straight grip, double trigger, beaver tail fore end,which came used and without the skeleton butt plate: It was choked so damn tight, I couldn't hit anything with it, so I had it opened up. (The left barrel was choked 40/1000's) I still couldn't hit anything with it, so sold it to a friend who couldn't hit anything, and he said "Here, take it back." I then took it to a great woodworker friend and said "Is the pitch wrong on this, or something?" He said "yes;" put it to my length with a Kickeez pad, and said "try that."
To shorten this story: I LOVE it, and choked IC/IC; I just snockered the Doves with it.
My answer to the original question is: I really can't tell any difference, even though the gun I now have is supposed to be the holy grail......and after opening it and getting a proper pad on it.....it is for me.
Sam Ogle, Lincoln, NE

Eric Eis 09-17-2016 05:03 PM

Well I guess I have to go against the grain here, I have a two barrel set and when I put on the 26 barrels (they may have 4 boxes through them) I can't hit anything, put the 28 inch barrels (Mod/F) on I am good, so for grouse hunting I put a spreader in the full choke and a regular shell in the Mod, single trigger which I switch over to left barrel first with the spreader. But the 26" barrels are damn near new:)

Chuck Heald 12-11-2016 12:56 PM

I found a 28" gun at Jaqua's for my conversion to the Galazan 410 barrels. It hadn't been shot by the previous owners, that I could tell. I used the 28ga 28" barrels a bit while waiting for the 410 barrels from Tony. It was whippy, but manageable. Although I'm pretty good with 26" barrels, I prefer 28" for my blindfolded shooting. :p Or at least it sometimes seems like I'm shooting blindfolded. I would not trade my 28" bbls for 26".

My recommendation would be to find a gun with 28" barrels and then have the triggers converted.