Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Parker Restoration (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   A Phoenix Reborn... (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=33917)

Jim Kremmel 08-04-2021 08:12 PM

A Phoenix Reborn...

8 Attachment(s)
I bought my first Parker in the Spring, A PH built in 1907. The gun desperately needed help, and for some reason I really wanted to keep it in the gene pool to enjoy and someday pass on. I needed a partner to assist me with this, and Keavin Nelson graciously offered to meet and help me assess the barrels as a first step. After determining they were in sound condition, Keavin helped me put together a plan to return the gun to safe and usable condition. I’m going to let the pictures do the talking; I couldn’t be more pleased with the beauty of the restored stock and buttplate, the elegance of the repaired and re-engraved trigger guard (which he nitre blued), and the muzzle repair. This phoenix is reborn and will return to the field this Fall. Thank you Mr. Nelson for a job well done, and for your professionalism and willingness to teach a new Parker Community member.

Jim DiSpagno 08-04-2021 08:18 PM

Wonderful job and a tip of the hat to Keavin

Jim Kremmel 08-04-2021 08:20 PM

5 Attachment(s)
More pics

Jim Kremmel 08-04-2021 08:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Research letter.

Jim Kremmel 08-04-2021 08:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Last picture!

charlie cleveland 08-04-2021 09:28 PM

ya ll done a really good job on this gun...mite even say a miracle on the stock...shes got a life time of shooting in her now...charlie

Harold Lee Pickens 08-05-2021 07:55 AM

Great save Jim, she's certainly a nice looking gun now. I love the original choking of cyl/mod on a 30" gun. I have 2 Parkers with those chokes, but are both 26" guns. Were you able to swage the muzzle bulge out, or did it have to be cut? There used to be a guy in Florida who could do that--cant think of his name. That will be a great gun for Pa. pheasant and great for sporting clays.

Jim Kremmel 08-05-2021 09:42 AM

Harold,
Thanks for your thoughts. We decided it was best to address the bulge even before we had the research letter, and Keavin removed 3/4”. He then replaced the keels and solder, and reinstalled the original front sight. Her new length is 29-1/8”. Right barrel remains cylinder, left is improved cylinder. All other measurements match the factory letter to a T. I wish I would have had these chokes for rabbit hunting in Pittsburgh when I was a kid, I cut my teeth with an old 12ga single barrel with full choke that kicked like a horse.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harold Lee Pickens (Post 340036)
Great save Jim, she's certainly a nice looking gun now. I love the original choking of cyl/mod on a 30" gun. I have 2 Parkers with those chokes, but are both 26" guns. Were you able to swage the muzzle bulge out, or did it have to be cut? There used to be a guy in Florida who could do that--cant think of his name. That will be a great gun for Pa. pheasant and great for sporting clays.