Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Parker Restoration (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Sleeve my O Frame Hammer 16 (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=33836)

William Davis 07-24-2021 12:17 PM

Sleeve my O Frame Hammer 16

My 16 G Hammer gun is a favorite shot it often with either RST 2 1/2 or reloaded low pressure. Recently had the barrels inspected carefully. Now think it’s not safe to shoot . Some pits that are worse than I thought.

Like to have it sleeved, probably have to go 20G. Will end up way too much in the gun but like it and willing to pay.

Any barrel shop recommendations ?

Willam

Garry L Gordon 07-24-2021 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by William Davis (Post 339169)
My 16 G Hammer gun is a favorite shot it often with either RST 2 1/2 or reloaded low pressure. Recently had the barrels inspected carefully. Now think it’s not safe to shoot . Some pits that are worse than I thought.

Like to have it sleeved, probably have to go 20G. Will end up way too much in the gun but like it and willing to pay.

Any barrel shop recommendations ?

Willam

Would smaller gauge Briley tubes work for your shooting? You’d keep the original barrels that way.

Brian Dudley 07-24-2021 01:13 PM

Your options are limited for actual sleeving. Merrington maybe and Aaron Little. Getting tubes is more of an issue these days.

Briley tubes would really be your best option. It will be cheaper and the outside of the barrels will still be original in appearance. And you would be 20g either way.

I understand your concern, but if you have been shooting the gun all along and have had no issue, why not just continue to do so?

Dean Romig 07-24-2021 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Dudley (Post 339177)
I understand your concern, but if you have been shooting the gun all along and have had no issue, why not just continue to do so?

I completely agree.

William Davis 07-24-2021 02:00 PM

Couple of things, have used Kurt before simple jobs & have been pleased, owned a Briley tubed gun too worked fine.

On the condition, one respected opinion the barrels are fine another recent opinion they aren’t. 3rd opinion may be either way. My grandson is doing well shooting clays with modern guns has taken to SxS lately. Mostly my GH 12 some with one of my Trojan 20s he wants to try a hammer gun. Different equation when the gun is going to be used by someone else.

Briley likely the best choice less expense no permanent alterations totaly safe. Thanks guys your comments worth consideration

William

Mills Morrison 07-24-2021 02:01 PM

I am getting Briley short tubes as we speak. Brian makes good points

Harold Lee Pickens 07-24-2021 03:30 PM

I dont think you can go from 16 to 20 with Briley tubes, you have to go to 28 ga--thats what they told me a year or so ago. Hope I'm wrong--I'd prefer 20 myself.

Mills Morrison 07-24-2021 05:42 PM

Harold is right. I am going from 16 to 28 and they told me 20 was not an option with 16. I prefer 28 anyway.

Brian Dudley 07-24-2021 06:18 PM

I was wondering that myself. That is good to know.

Bruce Hering 07-25-2021 12:57 AM

Just as a question but.... What ever happened to Teauge (sp) in England reaming old Damascus barrels an inserting a full length steel liner of the same gauge.... I have seen one such gun and you had to look hard to see the liner....

Just asking.

William Davis 07-25-2021 07:00 AM

They will need to be 28 G which suits me fine

William

Bill Murphy 07-25-2021 07:23 AM

I have a hammer 16 grade 2 that is Briley tubed to 28. It also has Briley screw in chokes in the 28 tubes. It is a great shooting gun. I will have my Lindner 16 hammer gun Briley tubed to 28 in the near future.

Garry L Gordon 07-25-2021 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce Hering (Post 339225)
Just as a question but.... What ever happened to Teauge (sp) in England reaming old Damascus barrels an inserting a full length steel liner of the same gauge.... I have seen one such gun and you had to look hard to see the liner....

Just asking.

Bruce, I read that there were problems with the adhesion method/process of the liners, and that the it is no longer being done. Someone else here I'm sure has a more detailed answer. It sure was a nice solution...if it worked.

Dean Romig 07-25-2021 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garry L Gordon (Post 339232)
Bruce, I read that there were problems with the adhesion method/process of the liners, and that the it is no longer being done. Someone else here I'm sure has a more detailed answer. It sure was a nice solution...if it worked.

I heard they ruined a number of barrels by cutting right through them at areas that were thin to begin with.

john pulis 07-25-2021 08:08 AM

There is an article in Diggory Haddock’s online gun journal about Teague tubes posted a few issues ago. As per above, there were adhesion, separation, and corrosion issues if I remember correctly.

Mills Morrison 07-25-2021 09:46 AM

I would check with Briley to make sure they do not alter the existing bores.

John Davis 07-25-2021 02:02 PM

Although a moot point now, I have a C grade lifter that I sent to England and had the barrels Teague lined. Never had any issues.

john pulis 07-25-2021 05:59 PM

The DH article is in the June 2017 issue of his online journal. He mentioned someone in the US licensed, at that time, by Teague. I wonder who that was.

Bill Murphy 07-25-2021 06:49 PM

Mills, Briley will do to your bores what you ask them to do. They don't do anything to my bores. Kolar, conversely, insists on lengthening the forcing cones. Kolar tubes are not for vintage guns.

Mills Morrison 07-25-2021 08:07 PM

They told me they would lengthen chambers and do some honing. I went along, but these barrels will never shoot again safely without sleeving or tubes

Bill Murphy 07-26-2021 07:38 AM

Mills, why go to the expense of chamber work and honing? The tubes will be what you are shooting out of.

Mills Morrison 07-26-2021 08:50 AM

I guess to make the tubes fit better

Ken Hill 07-26-2021 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by john pulis (Post 339273)
The DH article is in the June 2017 issue of his online journal. He mentioned someone in the US licensed, at that time, by Teague. I wonder who that was.

Here's the link to the Teague lining article https://www.vintageguns.co.uk/magazine/barrel-lining. Quite a few issues are mentioned. Steve Bertram was the US rep for sending barrels to the UK to have them lined.

Ken

William Davis 07-26-2021 03:01 PM

Talked to Briley this morning. To fit my 16 G hammer gun, they machine the tubes to fit the bore. Chambers have to be 2 & 3/4 inch, tubes index depth on the front of the chamber. Fitting 190 dollars over the cost of Tubes. This is not needed on a number of modern factory guns, others it is needed. Short or full length tubes same work required.

May get a 3rd opinion on my barrels . If posable watch the method used and examine through the bore scope myself.

William

Bill Murphy 07-26-2021 05:30 PM

Do what I would do and tell Briley to k/m/a and install the tubes in my barrels. $190 to bore out my chambers is ridiculous.

Dean Romig 07-26-2021 06:36 PM

No way would I have anyone bore out my chambers. I’d keep the original barrels and find and fit another set that I have more faith in.

Bruce Hering 07-26-2021 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garry L Gordon (Post 339232)

Quote:

Originally Posted by john pulis (Post 339235)
There is an article in Diggory Haddock’s online gun journal about Teague tubes posted a few issues ago. As per above, there were adhesion, separation, and corrosion issues if I remember correctly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Davis (Post 339257)
Although a moot point now, I have a C grade lifter that I sent to England and had the barrels Teague lined. Never had any issues.

Thanks guys for the comments. Just wondered because the gun that I saw and shot was a great piece of work. Too bad they had problems. As Garry said, "It was a nice solution"

Mills Morrison 07-26-2021 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Romig (Post 339359)
No way would I have anyone bore out my chambers. I’d keep the original barrels and find and fit another set that I have more faith in.

My barrels are shot, according to several known experts, otherwise I would have looked at other options.

William Davis 07-26-2021 11:03 PM

And mine may be depending on which expert I listen to. Nice condition O Frame set of Hammer gun barrels rare bird.

William

Mills Morrison 07-27-2021 08:39 AM

I took mine to the Southern and got opinions from several of the best experts. They all pronounced the patient dead though. That would be a good option for you. In your case, you have shot it without problems and may be you just need to keep to the lowest pressure.

Bruce Hering 07-27-2021 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Hill (Post 339318)
Here's the link to the Teague lining article https://www.vintageguns.co.uk/magazine/barrel-lining. Quite a few issues are mentioned. Steve Bertram was the US rep for sending barrels to the UK to have them lined.
Ken

Thanks so much Ken for posting this.