Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Favorite scene engraving (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=31750)

jefferyconnor 11-29-2020 08:32 PM

Favorite scene engraving

2 Attachment(s)
This is a Baker Paragon which engraved is a style I like better than any: not just covered with fine scrollwork I can't see without reading glasses. An actual scene with restrained scrollwork on the edges. I like a lower percentage of scroll coverage that is bold combined with vibrant and strong images. Plus, dogs and birds that look realistic. The front English Setter, in particular has poised, latent energy in the depiction.
What say you?
Does anyone have guns with pictures they can post with scene engraving that they like?

Dave Noreen 11-29-2020 09:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Those, very likely Frank Mason, dogs on that Baker Paragon are some of the best.

I've always liked this rather cartoonish pigeon shooting scene on the Baltimore Arms Co. Trap Gun --

Attachment 90464

Jeff Kuss 11-29-2020 09:56 PM

Jeffery.
Do a search on this site Who let out the dogs. I think you will see that we have explored this topic in the past.

jefferyconnor 11-29-2020 09:59 PM

Researcher, that's a lively scene, thanks!

Dean Romig 11-30-2020 08:25 AM

Pictures and articles of several Parker Bros. hammer guns have been published in Parker Pages in years past of some very interestingly engraved guns. Guns like the "Cow Gun", and the "Chicken Thief Gun" submitted by Gary Carmichael, the "Trap Shoot Gun" submitted by Dave Suponski just a couple of years ago. These are wonderful guns and the engraving on them is very cartoonish but interestingly humorous at the same time.

Greg Baehman 11-30-2020 12:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
For somewhat selfish reasons, this is my favorite game scene, as I designed it and requested engraver Bob Strosin to engrave it:

jefferyconnor 11-30-2020 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Baehman (Post 317264)
For somewhat selfish reasons, this is my favorite game scene, as I designed it and requested engraver Bob Strosin to engrave it:

That is a great scene! It captures a moment of energy and action, the fox twisting in his strike.

Your picture eminds me of an event I saw: I was fishing with bobber and minnow bait one time and I kept getting my bait robbed, as it turns out by a muskrat. Moments later, the muskrat jumped out of the water straight up and a loon chased it straight up out of the water. For a moment, those two resembled your scene here. Then, splash, then splash again. I was about as stunned as when you almost step on a grouse before they jump.

Also, I like the bold scrollwork and your design, it's a nice touch that the animals are in the foreground of the scrollwork.

Jay Gardner 11-30-2020 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jefferyconnor (Post 317223)
This is a Baker Paragon which engraved is a style I like better than any: not just covered with fine scrollwork I can't see without reading glasses. An actual scene with restrained scrollwork on the edges. I like a lower percentage of scroll coverage that is bold combined with vibrant and strong images. Plus, dogs and birds that look realistic. The front English Setter, in particular has poised, latent energy in the depiction.
What say you?
Does anyone have guns with pictures they can post with scene engraving that they like?

That's beautiful work.

Greg Baehman 11-30-2020 05:00 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by jefferyconnor (Post 317285)
That is a great scene! It captures a moment of energy and action, the fox twisting in his strike.

Also, I like the bold scrollwork and your design, it's a nice touch that the animals are in the foreground of the scrollwork.

Thank you Jeff, but I can't take credit for the design of the scrollwork as it's of Bob Strosin's own design and what he call his "house scroll".

It's quite perceptive of you noticing the game scene appearing to be in the foreground, it was intended to add depth. I asked Bob Strosin to allow the game scene engraving to spill over his border lines. You can see that also on the sides of the frame of this Fox where a feather, a foot or floral leaves spill over a bit to bring depth to the scenes. In an effort to eliminate a static look to the games scenes, I requested he engrave images that depict movement. The direction of the birds, the barrel wedge engraving extending forward of the knuckle and the grain flow of the wood were all chosen and designed to lead the viewer's eyes out the business end of the gun and beyond.

"It's the itty bitty details that make the big, big difference."

Mills Morrison 11-30-2020 06:24 PM

Lefevers and LC Smiths lead the pack in engraving.