Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   sxs 8 gauge muzzleloader (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=27624)

Milton C Starr 06-27-2019 12:48 PM

sxs 8 gauge muzzleloader

3 Attachment(s)
So I have been browsing for a new purchase this week and I was looking pretty hard at a sharps or perhaps my first lever action. Then I found a sxs 8 gauge in decent condition a muzzleloader . My first thought when I saw it for sale was I better grab it before Charlie sees it haha . I used to be a member on here years ago and I now I guess with this latest purchase I am being pulled back into vintage shotguns haha .

Its a Belgian made sxs 8 gauge with london marked barrels 39" and weighs 16lb 3oz . Seems to be on the heavy side compared to other 8 gauge doubles I have looked at both muzzle loaders and cartridge guns. The barrels appear to be steel and not damascus ? From the close up pictures however I wont know for sure until I have it in hand . I am thinking of having the barrels restored to see what they looked like when they were young . I know there are few gunsmiths who can really make these old girls shine .

Harry Collins 06-27-2019 07:15 PM

It would be great in the punt for picking off stragglers after you let the big dog speak.

charlie cleveland 06-27-2019 07:38 PM

this looks like a really well made gun pretty fancy for her time.... i m sure shes a keeper....charlie

Milton C Starr 06-27-2019 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harry Collins (Post 276403)
It would be great in the punt for picking off stragglers after you let the big dog speak.

It does look like a gun used for market hunting .
At 16lbs i bet shes a soft shooter :rotf::rotf:

Too bad we cant hunt our non migratory geese population .

Milton C Starr 06-27-2019 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlie cleveland (Post 276405)
this looks like a really well made gun pretty fancy for her time.... i m sure shes a keeper....charlie

Yeah Im thinking those are probably some thick barrels given its weight .
Charlie any idea where I could find a book for shooting bp in these big bore shotguns ? Ive been wanting a 8 gauge for years and didnt matter to me if it was a cartridge gun or muzzleloader a 8 gauge is a 8 gauge haha .

I wonder what time period it is from , I was think maybe 1850s or so .
Here in Georgia 8 gauge is legal for turkey so I may have to give that a try next season .

Harry Collins 06-28-2019 11:36 AM

4oz of shot and 20 drams of black powder might throw a lengthy shot string.

Milton C Starr 06-28-2019 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harry Collins (Post 276433)
4oz of shot and 20 drams of black powder might throw a lengthy shot string.

That sounds like a healthy load haha.
I was thinking some between 2-3oz .

Would these barrels originally have been brown ?
I'm not familiar with a black finish like that on guns of this age . I thought perhaps that was the original finish because the gold rings at the breach are not covered up and they look to match the age of the gun . I thought Damascus was the most popular material for shotguns in the 19th century .

Any recommendations on who could do restoration work ?

Harry Collins 06-28-2019 11:48 AM

I got confused thinking it was a 4 bore.

Milton C Starr 06-28-2019 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harry Collins (Post 276438)
I got confused thinking it was a 4 bore.

I had looked at a 4 bore single but decided that the single was too light weight for me .

Ed rayl I believe is his name makes a true 4 gauge barrel.
1.053" iirc but I couldn't find anyone who builds sxs muzzleloader .

Before I found this 8 gauge I had looked at 8 gauge barrels from rice . But once again couldn't find any muzzleloader builders who could build a sxs .

Milton C Starr 06-28-2019 02:19 PM

I just noticed it has dual key ways or what ever they are called for the barrels to lock into place . That is unusual I dont think I have ever seen that on a shotgun before .