Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Parker Restoration (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Parker Butt Stocking Tutorial (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=24745)

Brian Dudley 07-19-2018 02:42 PM

Parker Butt Stocking Tutorial

29 Attachment(s)
I have been working on 11 restocks for the past few months in a sort of assembly line fashion while working in other small stuff in-between.

One in particular I documented each of the critical steps of making the stock. I figured I would share them here in case anyone has wondered what all goes into it.

The gun is a 20g. VH. It is a full restoration.

I did the required repair work to the original stock in order to get a suitable pattern and I duplicated the original stock out of a piece of American Walnut that had some nice curl in the butt area. Nicer than the original piece, but still very suiting for a VH grade.

Attachment 64125

The Frame is hand fitted into the inletting for good contact along the tang, but primarily on the recoil surface.

Attachment 64126

Attachment 64127

I then inlet the trigger plate into the bottom of the stock with the frame clamped firmly in place.

Attachment 64128

Attachment 64129

Attachment 64131

Then the holes for the tang screws can be drilled and the screws installed. The front tang screw requires the insertion of a threaded bushing first.

Attachment 64132

Attachment 64133

Then I can attach the top lever and it's linkage and inlet for clearance of all of those moving parts. Clearance cuts also have to be made for the hammers.

Attachment 64134

Attachment 64135

I then install the grip cap. It is held on by one wood screw and located by two steel pins. The new screw then gets it's slot timed.

Attachment 64136

Attachment 64137

Attachment 64138

I then install a new buttplate on the stock. It is carefully insetted for total contact around the whole surface. Just as carefully as the action is fitted. The last 3 digits of the serial number are written on both the butt and the plate. Like the factory did. The new screws are then timed and dressed down flush.

Attachment 64139

Attachment 64140

Attachment 64141

The trigger guard can then be fitted. The tang is insetted into the stock. The serial number and grade are stamped into the wood and a new screw is installed.

Attachment 64142

Attachment 64143

To finish up the work inside the head of the stock. The safety jacket is installed. It is very important that it is tight in the wood and that the depth is correct. Then a hole is drilled for the reset rod using a custom made jig. Function can then be tested and adjustments made if needed. The button slide should fully reset when the top lever is opened.

Attachment 64144

Attachment 64145

Attachment 64146

The finial profile of the stock and the details of the grip, cheeks and comb flute can be shaped using rasps and files.

Attachment 64147

Once the toe line is set, the monogram shield can be installed and dressed off.

Attachment 64148

Then everything is sanded out to 320 grit. A double layer of tape on all of the metal surfaces ensures that the wood is taken down to just the right level of being just proud of the metal. Everything is now ready for sealer and finish coats.

Attachment 64149

Attachment 64150

Attachment 64151

Attachment 64152

Attachment 64153

Attachment 64154

I hope this information has been useful to some.

Randy G Roberts 07-19-2018 03:22 PM

Thanks Brian, very informative and interesting. BTW I would like to see that wood after the finish was applied. Looks to me like it would qualify for an even higher graded Parker. Please post pics when done.:corn:

Allen Gill 07-19-2018 08:32 PM

Thanks for posting. That is really incredible workmanship. It is very difficult to find people with such talent. I hope you continue posting the rest of the restoration.

Craig Larter 07-20-2018 06:36 AM

Brian great tutorial! Thanks for your efforts. Craig

keavin nelson 07-20-2018 11:33 AM

Brian, appreciate you sharing this, very insightful of the masterful craftsmanship! Curious, was the jig for drilling the safety pin made from a Parker frame cut off?

Brian Dudley 07-20-2018 12:33 PM

Yes. It is a cut off frame section.

davidboyles 07-20-2018 01:36 PM

Restoration VH

Brian your work amazes me and the fact you put together a slide show with presentation of work in progress I'm even more amazed. Looking forward to more pics and progress. Thx for your efforts

Frank Childrey 07-26-2018 05:59 AM

That is very impressive work. I would like to see how the shield is installed along the stock's toe line. Also, I would also like to see the checking and finishing procedures . . . and, of course, the finished product. Such obvious skill certainly has my attention.

Garry L Gordon 07-26-2018 07:14 AM

Wow! This was as informative a post as I have seen on the forum. Thanks, Brian, for taking the time to document and share the photos -- and your expertise with us. I learned much from this posting.

Brian Dudley 07-26-2018 07:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The same stock with one sealer coat on it to better show figure.

Attachment 64286