Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Hunting with Parkers (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Turkey Report (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=23930)

Mills Morrison 05-05-2018 02:32 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Mills and I had one get close but still could not see him due to all the shrubbery. Mills sat pretty still the whole time. Tomorrow is probably going to be my last day. They are pretty wise by the end of the season

Mike Koneski 05-05-2018 03:00 PM

Nice bird Phil!! Beautiful 20 bore too!! BTW, nothing like a live decoy to help bring 'em in.

Bob Hayes 05-05-2018 03:25 PM

Thats capitalizing on an opportunity Phil.

charlie cleveland 05-05-2018 05:24 PM

mills this is some of the million dollar moments in your life....charlie

Mills Morrison 05-05-2018 06:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It sure is Charlie. Going for probably the last time of the season tomorrow. Habitat is beautiful. Now to decide which gun to take

I used the wing bone call today and they really responded.

Garry L Gordon 05-05-2018 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Harlow (Post 242958)
Get your Missouri game department to bring some of the pests in just as we believe ours did with coyotes, which have taken over. Deer, turkey, rabbit, small dog, and cat populations are way down.

You'll like the holes under every building and extra holes in fields to break a leg in.

Jerry,

Trust me, I had my share of whistle pigs when I lived in Ohio (and had a farmer who raised horses pay me to kill them and keep holes out of his pastures), but the few we have are pretty discrete and seldom seen (we do have occasional badgers also). As for coyotes: I think we bred them here and sent them east. We've lived with them for quite some time (forever?) and our game populations are OK. What is hurting us now is the fenced deer operations that brought CWD to us. That and the terrible nesting seasons we've had for too many years in a row. It's been really hard on our quail, pheasant and turkey populations.

I also see that West Nile Virus is hitting your grouse hard. We lost our grouse to not cutting trees.

Oh, well, enjoy what you have while you have it.

Dean Romig 05-05-2018 09:11 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The morning before leaving for my cousin's farm in Northeast Ohio this guy came cobbling down my street. His beard was about 10" long and he was pretty bold about proclaiming his masculinity for any hen turkey within earshot. These pictures were taken from my deck and he was less than thirty yards away.

But "Cousin Tim" promised me a turkey so I decided to make the 10-hour drive and give it a go.

It was still a bit early in that pert of Ohio, the Lake Eire winter had been gone only a couple of weeks and the turkeys had not spread back into his area. Nevertheless, we were able to call in three longbeards on three consecutive mornings but they all hung up at 50-60 yards and wouldn't come any closer, even with the hen decoys we had out. It was very frustrating...

Dean Romig 05-05-2018 09:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
On our last morning at Cousin Tim's, just minutes prior to our departure, Tim, true to his word of a promised turkey, came through and produced the bird..... :biglaugh:

Mills Morrison 05-05-2018 09:18 PM

Frustrating is a good word to describe turkey hunting. We keep going back though

charlie cleveland 05-05-2018 09:24 PM

dean you needed some of them new tungston sst shells from what i can read and the info from the other fellows on hear say and from the pattern i seen on paper they will get a turkey at 70 yardsand 80 yards ...fellow have to watch close up shots a fellow could miss his bird...good hunting....charlie