Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Parker Hammer Guns (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   New to the forum and need some help with terminology (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=29078)

Scott Garner 01-14-2020 03:50 PM

New to the forum and need some help with terminology

5 Attachment(s)
Hello all,

I recently purchased a Parker (SN: 10275) at a local estate sale. This gun might just end up being wall decor.

I've been involved with shooting sporting clays and other various shotgun sports for years but this is my first venture with a SxS.

I an filling out the form for a research letter and had some questions...

What I do know:
Mfg Yr: 1878
Lifter Action
Splinter Forend
Twist Damascus Barrels (12ga... Measure aprox 30.5")

What I don't know:
What is the difference between a round and ball grip?
What the heck is a DHBP Butt type?

I have included pics and any help would be greatly appreciated!

-Scott

Eric Estes 01-14-2020 04:57 PM

Scott,

I thought the round or ball grip were pretty much the same thing. The book says yours is a pistol grip, but it appears to be ball/round.
DHBP refers to a dogs head butt plate, a hard rubber butt plate used on many lower grade guns. Cant tell from your pic, but I would expect yours to have a plain steel butt plate.
The serialization book says yours is a grade 0 plain twist with 30" barrels, although it is not always accurate. They are sometimes a bit over, but 30.5 is way over.
The gun looks like a nice one. If the barrels are in good shape and still have their wall thickness it could be a good shooter. I have a couple I shoot close in # to yours.
The 1 on the barrel lug is the frame size. That 12 probably swings real nice. I like the lighter 1 frame 12s, especially lifters. Congratulations.

Scott Garner 01-14-2020 05:32 PM

Thank you so much... Being unfamiliar with the valuation of Parkers. What do you think this would be worth?

Would it be prudent to clean the gun (deep clean and re oil the stock/forend and clean the action/receiver back to silver).. i cleaned the old grease off and wiped it down with rem oil to prevent rusting.
The bores are perfect! They look better than my 3yo Beretta 686

I have thought about trading it / selling it and my Beretta to fund a nicer Over/Under.

Would at least like a reference point and know if I paid too much... lol

Dean Romig 01-14-2020 06:27 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Scott, yours will list in the Parker records as a "pistol grip" or P. The other is a "capped pistol grip" or C. The true ball grips are something else altogether, though they are still listed in the records as P.

These are pictures of ball grips.

Jay Oliver 01-14-2020 07:57 PM

Hi Scott,

That is a nice first Parker! And as Eric said a 12 gauge lifter in a #1 Frame is a reel nice configuration. I have #10931 not too far from yours.

As far as value goes that is hard to say without seeing the gun and knowing it is shootable. It looks like it is in decent condition(for a 142 year old gun!). A range might be $500-$1000, the higher end assuming good bores and a tight action, and noting major with the stock, etc... Value is subjective so I would focus on the positive...you now have a Parker hammer gun!

Let us know where you are so we can help you. I might be a good idea to meet up with a PGCA member near you to check out your gun...and hopefully go shooting. The Parker Lifter is such a great design and providing everything checks out you will love shooting that gun.

Scott Garner 01-15-2020 08:56 AM

Thank you for the insight, I paid $700 plus 13% auction fees (aprox $850 total). I didnt know if that was fair, I was there to look at some other non gun related items and this lot came up. It was a split decision to bid.
I will be at the Southern SxS in April. It's just 2 hours from home. I have attended the past several years with the curiosity of owning a SxS.

Are there any forum members in the Wilmington, NC area?

Jay Oliver 01-15-2020 08:44 PM

Scott, I used to live not to far away from you in New Bern, but I am up in the Northeast now. My family and I still go down to Bald Head Island every summer.

Hopefully, someone else will reach out to you. You can definitely get all the answers you need at the Southern SxS and hopefully shoot the gun in the 12 gauge hammer category.

Scott Garner 01-15-2020 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Romig (Post 290435)
Scott, yours will list in the Parker records as a "pistol grip" or P. The other is a "capped pistol grip" or C. The true ball grips are something else altogether, though they are still listed in the records as P.

These are pictures of ball grips.

Hey Dean,

My dyslexia was kicking in... It’s actually SN: 10275

Can you help me with the catalog info of the correct serial?

Dean Romig 01-16-2020 07:45 AM

PT U 0 P 12 30

Plain Twist (Grade 0)
Underlifter
0 Extras
Pistol Grip
12 Gauge
30 Inch Barrels

Mike Koneski 01-16-2020 09:51 AM

Scott, welcome to the Parker family! This was your first step to having a full blown addiction! Next step will be to sell your O/Us to fund more SxS purchases. Hammer/hammerless, choices in gauge and style of the gun, it's mind numbing. Personally, I relly like Parker hammer guns best. I like hammerless too, but there's just something about those exposed hammers and different actions that revs my motor. Have it checked by someone who is familiar with vntage SxSs then have fun shooting it. Look me up at the Southern. I'll be happy to meet you and talk about our Parkers.