Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Man's Best Friend (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Setter/GSP (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=26856)

Kirk Potter 03-21-2019 12:55 PM

Setter/GSP

I’ve only owned one bird dog, my English Setter Willow. I Hunt grouse/woodcock exclusivley.. Had planned on getting another Setter pupppy soon, but lately I’ve had my eye on a GSP. Not sure why, I love Setters, maybe just for something different? Curious what those who’ve owned both think?

allen newell 03-21-2019 01:41 PM

Just stay with any of the pointing breeds if grouse and woodcock are your exclusive game. I am partial to english setters, but have owned and trained brittanys and they are good on grouse and woodcock

Eric Eis 03-21-2019 03:04 PM

Talk to Rich Anderson (COB) he's been hunting GSP's in Michigan woods for longer then I've known him. He can probably answer your questions

legh higgins 03-21-2019 03:27 PM

I have trained and owned both. two completely different animals, albeit for the same hunting purpose. I love both but probably wouldn't take the gsp visiting at a nursing home. Both are great athletes but the shorthair can be a one man dog. Setters seem to be a every mans dog. gsp don't shed much and setters do.:bigbye:

Ed Norman 03-21-2019 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by legh higgins (Post 269581)
I have trained and owned both. two completely different animals, albeit for the same hunting purpose. I love both but probably wouldn't take the gsp visiting at a nursing home. Both are great athletes but the shorthair can be a one man dog. Setters seem to be a every mans dog. gsp don't shed much and setters do.:bigbye:

I have a friend with a gsp and like legh mentions, he is more of a "one man dog" my brittany loves everybody, and hunting birds more than anything. He is a snuggler too. I know the guys that have setters that I talk to can't imagine ever owning another kind of dog. My first and only bird dog is my brittany, and I can't imagine ever owning another type of bird dog unless I go look at one of Dean Romigs posts:) This should confuse you even more, I think no matter what kind of dog you get, he will enrich your life. Kirk if your ever up my way (kalkaska) look me up if the time is right I would be glad to show off my bird dog:)

Kirk Potter 03-21-2019 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed Norman (Post 269606)
Kirk if your ever up my way (kalkaska) look me up if the time is right I would be glad to show off my bird dog:)

Thanks, will do.. I have family in Alden.

John Davis 03-21-2019 05:56 PM

They're all good. And better to talk bad about another man's wife than his bird dog. I've had Setters and GSP's. Loved both but at the end of the day I'm a GSP man. I hunt them and field trial them. Down here in the South the GSP seem's to handle the heat a little better. And there's nothing worse than trying to get cockleburrs and begga lice out of that setter hair. I really don't think you can go wrong either way, as long as to stick to good blood lines.

John Davis 03-21-2019 05:59 PM

Also, Setters seem a little slower to mature and in the field trial world they are not required to retrieve.

John Davis 03-21-2019 06:01 PM

And one last thing, if I was getting a setter I think I'd want one of those Twombly's.

Dean Romig 03-21-2019 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Davis (Post 269616)
And one last thing, if I was getting a setter I think I'd want one of those Twombly's.

I've sent out emails to the folks who have Grace's puppies - they're about 1 1/2 years old now. Folks are sending me pics of their dogs and without naming names I'll post pictures on a new thread. OMGoodness are they beautiful!