Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Hunting with Parkers (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   IS THIS WHY I MISS MORE WITH DOUBLES THAN AUTOS AND O/Us? (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=28207)

Jerry Harlow 09-22-2019 07:57 PM

IS THIS WHY I MISS MORE WITH DOUBLES THAN AUTOS AND O/Us?

4 Attachment(s)
Having noticed that all of my shot patterns were way off when experimenting with Tungsten Super Shot at forty yards, I decided to buy laser bore lights in both 12 and 20 gauge.

So today I took out three 12 gauge guns and put them in a Caldwell Lead Sled to hold them stationary on a target at forty yards (my typical sighting in distance for turkeys). The results were horrible to say the least. I even rotated the laser bore lights to see if they were the culprit, but there was no change. I don't think the lasers are defective.

The first gun was a Parker VH with .040 left and .042 right in 30" barrels. The results were so bad I went and got another VH with .027 in both barrels. Again way off at forty yards from point of aim to where the laser indicated the center of the bore was. So I went and got a 32" Ithaca NID. Same bad results but the right barrel was the best of the whole lot. When I moved in to 30 yards thinking the barrels may have been regulated to a closer distance, the same bad results. Is this why I may have more misses with doubles than with single barreled sighting planes? Has anyone else tried this?

I once took an L.C. Smith to a shooting match (Turkey Shoot). I found out I had to aim at the top right corner of the target at 30 yards to center the pattern on the X in the center.

40 YARD PHOTOS
ITHACA NID RIGHT MODIFIED
ITHACA NID LEFT FULL
PARKER VH RIGHT FULL
PARKER VH LEFT FULL

Gary Laudermilch 09-22-2019 08:36 PM

I have a Robert Louis bore laser that I have used extensively and have come to trust it. The laser does not lie. That said, I think you might want to try mounting the gun to your shoulder with the laser installed. The results might be different. Testing barrels for regulation as you have done is quite different that learning point of impact from a shouldered gun but both are useful.

I had a VH that had terrible barrel alignment but have a PH that is pretty good. All of my repros (4) are very good. The best I have tested is a CSMC RBL 20.

Dean Romig 09-22-2019 08:41 PM

That’s pretty sad... I wonder how common that is.

Jerry Harlow 09-22-2019 08:43 PM

The trouble is shooting at turkeys one aims as if shooting a rifle, so point of impact is critical. And if one is off by a little at forty yards while aiming and the center of the pattern is off by a couple of feet already, then it is a miss or a cripple, a disaster. I do not find that happens in single barreled guns as most shoot right on the money.

Jerry Harlow 09-22-2019 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Romig (Post 281913)
That’s pretty sad... I wonder how common that is.

Very common I think. I tried three doubles today. All were bad. When experimenting with the TSS I tried a 20 VH and a 20 Fox SW as well as a VH 12. All were off except the Franchi 48AL in 20 was the only one that shot to point of aim.

Dean Romig 09-22-2019 09:30 PM

So much for POI regulation at the time of manufacture....?

charlie cleveland 09-22-2019 10:31 PM

jerry i have known this for several years that a single barrel gun shoots to point of aim a way better than double barrels....thats why you must shoot on paper to see where it throws the shot on target...i have one parker ten ga that shoots 2 foot high at 40 yards bad off target....most of my guns the doubles do pretty good aimingat the breast and will put the load in the head area...charlie

Bob Jurewicz 09-23-2019 07:47 AM

What does it matter where the LASER points so long as the pattern goes to your "point of aim".
Bob Jurewicz

Dean Romig 09-23-2019 07:56 AM

That’s true Bob. There’s no alternative to patterning a gun to learn where it puts the majority of it’s shot charge.

Harry Collins 09-23-2019 08:05 AM

The first thing that hit me when reading Jerry's post is this: Don't SXS barrels have a slight bend outwards from the direction the breech is pointing? Wouldn't the laser from the breach indicate a cross fire?