Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Man's Best Friend (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Sherwood's first quail hunt (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=26560)

Mills Morrison 02-17-2019 04:05 PM

Sherwood's first quail hunt

1 Attachment(s)
Sherwood went on his first quail hunt today at Brays Island. He was pointing birds by himself and holding by the middle of the hunt. Very proud. Still rough around the edges but very happy and proud.

Brett Hoop 02-17-2019 06:26 PM

That's great! It takes birds to make a bird dog.

Dean Romig 02-17-2019 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brett Hoop (Post 266204)
That's great! It takes birds to make a bird dog.

Yes, along with consistency that's the key... and lots of them too.

Are you training Sherwood with an e-collar?

Mills Morrison 02-17-2019 07:08 PM

No ecollar

John Dallas 02-17-2019 08:45 PM

Hooray! My flushing/retrieving dogs have never had a collar on them

Hal Sheets 02-17-2019 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mills Morrison (Post 266211)
No ecollar

Mills,
Great first hunt on quail, gives you and the family a very special feeling when it all comes together with YOUR own pup! Glad to hear you haven't needed an e-collar, so far. However, I'm not surprised. Of the 8 Brittanies (American & French) I've had, only one needed an e-collar and she only needed to be nicked 2 times & never again. I hunted the same dog in old age with a remote beeper collar, when her hearing was failing. One beep and she'd turn to look for my hand signal.
Sherwood's going to give your family memories no money can buy!
All the best!
Hal

Mills Morrison 02-17-2019 10:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the comments. It was really something to see him point birds for the first time

Garry L Gordon 02-18-2019 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mills Morrison (Post 266228)
Thanks for the comments. It was really something to see him point birds for the first time

Trust me...it will never get old seeing him point for as long as you have him. It will be good that your two "youngsters" (and you, of course!) will get to grow up together hunting.

Rich Anderson 02-18-2019 03:25 PM

I'ts amazing to watch as the light in their brain turns on. The very best part of bird hunting is the dog work. If your hunting birds without a dog it's just a walk in the woods with a gun.

Mills Morrison 02-18-2019 03:51 PM

No one was more happy than my Dad. His comment was aren't you glad you did it yourself and did not send him away to a fancy trainer?

Julia and I would not have missed Sherwood's first real point for the world. He fumbled around the first two points by the other dog and then he magically went on point on the third . . .