Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Wild Game Recipes (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Anyone into 'shrooms?? (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=32000)

Andrew Sacco 12-29-2020 03:36 PM

Anyone into 'shrooms??

I joined the local mycological club and hope to learn to not die eating wild mushrooms. I was given a Hen of the Woods years ago by an acquaintance and cooked it with wine and grouse breasts and told myself, "I'm gonna do that someday." So hopefully virus notwithstanding I'm going to learn this year. I don't trust me and a book on this one!

Harold Lee Pickens 12-29-2020 06:44 PM

A worthy endeavor for sure. My success rate finding morels in the spring is not good.

Andrew Sacco 12-29-2020 07:37 PM

The only thing I have going for me is stamina to walk and keep looking so I hope that helps.

John Marscher 12-29-2020 08:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Doesn't get much better than chanterelles in the lowcountry. Picked these while waiting on a deer at Cheeha Combahee.
Attachment 91445

Andrew Sacco 12-29-2020 08:36 PM

Wow. Those look great! I love cooking. So if I can shoot a grouse with a Parker and cook it with mushrooms I pick I’m going to pretty much buy everyone a drink on this forum.

Phillip Carr 12-29-2020 10:21 PM

3 Attachment(s)
This is a book you might like 1000 pages. Includes colored pictures in helping to I’d.

Andrew Sacco 12-29-2020 10:45 PM

Many thanks! I'll get the book and hope the club meets this year.

Breck Gorman 12-30-2020 10:31 PM

Try the Chanterelle mushroom soup recipe on the Hanks Shaw Hunter-Angler-Gardener-Cook website. It is fantastic.
Love a good summer rainy day, because I will be in the woods gathering chanterelles the next day.

Andrew Sacco 12-30-2020 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Breck Gorman (Post 320345)
Try the Chanterelle mushroom soup recipe on the Hanks Shaw Hunter-Angler-Gardener-Cook website. It is fantastic.
Love a good summer rainy day, because I will be in the woods gathering chanterelles the next day.

One of my favorite wild game chefs. His stuff is consistently good, but a little to Mexican heavy for my tastes. Only about one out of ten of his email recipes are not Mexican influenced. His books are awesome. I really hope I can learn something because I can think of nothing better than marrying what you pick with what you shoot or catch.

Mike Koneski 01-03-2021 11:30 AM

Andy, I love wild shrooms too. Been picking morels for years. Recently just got some chanterells on the gamelands. I have found "spongies" (boletes) here too. I keep my eyes open for hen of the woods but haven't run across them. We do have "popenkes" (honey mushrooms) which are very very good too. Nothing like venison stroganoff with morels!! If you have any info on the myco club near you let me know. I always prefer hands on ID from experienced mycologists over comparing pics in a book.