Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Parker Restoration (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   gunsmith help (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=17829)

Fred Lichtenstein 12-04-2015 06:46 AM

gunsmith help

Hello everyone,
I do a basic gunsmithig works in my workshop. Yesterday the motor on my lathe stopped. I may only assume that it is burnt, because it had a specific smell. Are here people familiar with the gunsmithing? What motors do power your lathe? I need any recommendations before I buy a new tool. Thanks for your time..

Dean Romig 12-04-2015 08:00 AM

There should be a manufacturer's nome and model number on your lathe motor. It should be relatively easy to find a suitable replacement once you find that information.

Brian Dudley 12-04-2015 08:34 AM

A question likely better asked on a machinists forum. Nothing specific about the type of motor on a lathe if it is ised for gunsmithing or fo any other type of machining. And, as Dean stated, the type of machine will dictate that.

Looking for a replacement of the one that is on there would be a good place to start.

edgarspencer 12-04-2015 08:52 AM

Go to Grainger.com They have any and every motor you can dream up.
I have one lathe that uses a 1 HP motor, and another than has 15hp on the spindle and 3 on the rapid traverse, and 1/2 on the coolant. All types of lathes use all types of motors, Gunsmith or not.

Bill Murphy 12-04-2015 09:33 AM

Whatever motor you select, be sure to ventilate the exhaust to the outside of the shop.

Robin Lewis 12-04-2015 09:37 AM

Or, take your motor to a repair shop and have it fixed. It can be rewound, new bushings and bearings...... etc. Whatever is wrong can be fixed.

Daryl Corona 12-04-2015 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Murphy (Post 182666)
Whatever motor you select, be sure to ventilate the exhaust to the outside of the shop.

Just for clarification;
A motor is powered by electric. An engine uses some type of fuel which needs ventilation.

Dean Romig 12-04-2015 11:44 AM

Ahem.... It has been my experience that a motor is powered by smoke. Without exception, each and every motor I have observed to fail was because the smoke leaked out.... when they stopped smoking they stopped running.

John Dallas 12-04-2015 02:42 PM

I must admit that I have never had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Romig, but if my failing memory is correct he worked at a Volvo Dealership for many years. If that is the case, then my former employer, Ford Motor, made the right decision to divest itself of Volvo, and let our friends in China deal with them.

Bill Murphy 12-06-2015 05:08 PM

I can't wait until the Chinese come out with a new 3/4 size Mini-PV-544. The 544 with the long gearshift is my favorite V-Car.