Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Website & Forum - Help & Assistance (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Weird Spam just received from Forum (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10022)

George M. Purtill 03-21-2013 02:31 PM

Weird Spam just received from Forum

I just received what looked like a pos to a thread i had posted to but it was about poker.
Did anyone get this?

Chuck Bishop 03-21-2013 03:19 PM

I received 2 separate notices that a reply had been made to posts that I replied to. I didn't click on any links, just deleted the e-mail. Something about poker.

wayne goerres 03-21-2013 03:42 PM

Spam is titled whats it worth for anybody that wants to just delete it.

John Dunkle 03-21-2013 03:49 PM

Take it as a "back-handed" complement... As this site grows, it more noticed by spammers - and therefore.. Well, you get the idea.. Anyway - it was a spambot that I deleted as soon as it started up. I also deleted all the posts it automated inside a few threads...

Consider it as "putting out the trash"..

:cheers:

John D.

Dave Suponski 03-21-2013 03:53 PM

Thank You Mr. D........Sir..:)

Rich Anderson 03-21-2013 04:53 PM

JD (John Dunkel NOT Jack Daniels:rotf:) is on the job. Just like Homeland security he keeps us (well our majic machines anyway) safe from the evils of spam:clap:

wayne goerres 03-21-2013 06:38 PM

I am still trying to figure out why they call it spam.

John Dunkle 03-21-2013 06:39 PM

Ready? Here ya' go...

The word "Spam" as applied to Email means "Unsolicited Bulk Email".

Unsolicited means that the Recipient has not granted verifiable permission for the message to be sent. Bulk means that the message is sent as part of a larger collection of messages, all having substantively identical content.
A message is Spam only if it is both Unsolicited and Bulk.

Unsolicited Email is normal email
(examples: first contact enquiries, job enquiries, sales enquiries)

Bulk Email is normal email
(examples: subscriber newsletters, customer communications, discussion lists)

Technical Definition of Spam

An electronic message is "spam" if (A) the recipient's personal identity and context are irrelevant because the message is equally applicable to many other potential recipients; AND (B) the recipient has not verifiably granted deliberate, explicit, and still-revocable permission for it to be sent.

Eric Eis 03-21-2013 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Dunkle (Post 101238)
Ready? Here ya' go...

The word "Spam" as applied to Email means "Unsolicited Bulk Email".

Unsolicited means that the Recipient has not granted verifiable permission for the message to be sent. Bulk means that the message is sent as part of a larger collection of messages, all having substantively identical content.
A message is Spam only if it is both Unsolicited and Bulk.

Unsolicited Email is normal email
(examples: first contact enquiries, job enquiries, sales enquiries)

Bulk Email is normal email
(examples: subscriber newsletters, customer communications, discussion lists)

Technical Definition of Spam

An electronic message is "spam" if (A) the recipient's personal identity and context are irrelevant because the message is equally applicable to many other potential recipients; AND (B) the recipient has not verifiably granted deliberate, explicit, and still-revocable permission for it to be sent.

So John why do they call it "spam" should be called "UBE"you computer guys sometimes just don't make any sense.:whistle:

John Dunkle 03-21-2013 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Eis (Post 101240)
So John why do they call it "spam" should be called "UBE"you computer guys sometimes just don't make any sense.:whistle:

Actually - it used to be - way back when....

And an e-mail program used to be called MUA (Mail User Access) - as with Prodigy, FIDO and other character based systems - your MUA would determine what e-mails you could read....

Best to ya' Eric!

John