Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Parker Discussions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   GHE .410 another landfill story (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=21742)

Alan Phillips 06-22-2017 04:17 PM

GHE .410 another landfill story

16 Attachment(s)
After reading the story of the "landfill .410" in Parker Pages I decided to ask for advice from more knowledgeable members than I. Mine is a somewhat similar story which I won't go into at this time. My real question is: Should I touch up this wood. It is worse than the pictures show which are bad enough. I was told the little gun was stored in a gun case and extreme heat and moisture lifted the finish. It is gone in some areas and shows "orange peal" in others. The worst area is the butt which may have to be re-cut. The rest of the checkering looks good to me and would best be left alone I think. As can be seen the metal is in very good condition and will be left as is. Any ideas?

Mills Morrison 06-22-2017 04:20 PM

Nice gun. I would leave it alone, although others may feel differently

Rich Anderson 06-22-2017 04:27 PM

I agree that the metal should be left alone but I would have the wood refreshed. You really can't just do the bad spots IMHO and if you do decide to do it then do all the wood. that's a very nice 410.

edgarspencer 06-22-2017 05:26 PM

That is a very special gun, and I feel having the wood properly refinished would only enhance both it's value and appearance.

Chuck Bishop 06-22-2017 05:40 PM

Do the refinish and any wood repairs necessary. Is the buttstock original? I ask because of the nose flute shape and the butt checkering style.

David Noble 06-22-2017 05:53 PM

That would be a tough decision for me to make. It looks totally original to me. I'd rather have an original gun that looks a bit "crusty" in places than a restored one.
The little gun would be really beautiful with the wood refinished, but the "total" originality of the gun would be gone forever.
"IF" I was making the decision to redo the wood, I think I would find someone who could remove the old finish with little or no sanding, and then reapply a lite coat of the original type finish. That way the small dents and scratches (character) of the gun would be preserved. .....But that's just my opinion.

John Allen 06-22-2017 07:24 PM

Refinsh the wood.The gun is too nice not to repair the damage done.A good wood man can bring it back to near original finish without much trouble.Also,refinishing wood does not hurt value nearly as much as refinished metal.

Patrick Lien 06-22-2017 07:32 PM

I have had 3 different late Remington Parkers with the same crazed finish. It will literally wipe off with a cloth with a little acetone. I think it was the Remington finish was not as good as what the folks in Meriden did. NICE GUN!

Patrick

Dean Romig 06-22-2017 07:37 PM

That or denatured alcohol. That will soften the finish and smooth it right out without removing it. If it were mine that is all I would do. There is nothing about the wood that needs refinishing. A few tiny blemishes from careful use is all I can see and they are testament to the light use the gun got. They are its personality. Don't recut the checkering - that is original Remington era checkering that has a distinction all its own.

What a sweet little .410 skeet gun! What a lucky guy you are! Congratulations!!

Dean Romig 06-22-2017 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck Bishop (Post 220631)
Do the refinish and any wood repairs necessary. Is the buttstock original? I ask because of the nose flute shape and the butt checkering style.

It is Remington era comb nose fluting. DelGrego adopted that style on most all of his butt stock replacements but I believe the stock on the subject gun is completely original. It is certainly not a DelGrego skeet gun upgrade.