Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Hunting with Parkers (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   first hunt in 2019 (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=26106)

charlie cleveland 01-01-2019 04:03 PM

first hunt in 2019

i had promised daisey the squirl dog that we would go hunting soon well soon turned out to be later...first this morning we the dogs and i went and checked our deer feeders they needed filling up....we then went back to the house to rest for a moment...after resting i decided to carry my remington 550-1 automatic 22 rifle....best auto 22 ever made in my book....daisey and i went out the back door without lu-lu the 3 legged dog....she dont get around very well in the woods with only 1 front leg....so off we go we aint went but a 100 yards and daisey trees....i seen the squirl go around the tree high up i did not want to kill the squirl so i just shot the trunk of the tree to fool daisey into thinking we had got him....we had not gone 50 foot daisey treed again i seen the squirl run around the tree i again just shot up in the top of the tree this suits daisey so off she goes...she treed again not over 150 yards from the 2nd tree....again i just shot up in the tree not aiming at nothing just shooting 3 or 4 times this worked for daisey....so off she goes again this time she trees on top of a hill bunch of bad briars to go through and i had only blue jeans on after a few fights with the briars i made it to the tree she was treed up this time a big pine...the pine had 3 big nest in it i bet it was a fox squirl in one of those nests but again i just shot the pine tree to fool daisey...daisey went on to tree 12 squirls all together in less than 1 1/2 hour...i was about bushed walking up and down them hills so i told daisey lets go to the house...this was our first hunt together since season had started back in late september 2018...i have kept my promise to go hunting with daisey i hope to get a few more hunts in before season closes feb. 28...for the amount of time that daisey and i hunted today with her she done better in that 1 1/2 hour than shes done in her life of hunting squirls... what a fine hunt we had....the reason i did not take any squirls is because the rut has been going for a while and most of the females are bred...no squirls to clean and what a hunt to remember and what a way to start off the NEW YEAR ........charlie

Garry L Gordon 01-02-2019 10:57 PM

Charlie,

I think you just invented "catch and release" squirrel hunting! Sounds like fun. Squirrel hunting with a good dog is grand sport.

You need to start carrying a camera and posting some photos for us.

charlie cleveland 01-05-2019 07:53 PM

went deer hunting this evening took my old h r 444 marlin....shes a great gun handles well got a good scope on it sees fairly well in late evening light....a fresh scrape is all i seen maybe monday evening i will get to see him....charlie