Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Small Bore Flintlock SxS (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=38950)

Jay Oliver 04-09-2023 02:10 PM

Small Bore Flintlock SxS

6 Attachment(s)
I saw this contemporary build for sale and was just drawn to it. It is a .50 smoothbore, which would equal about a 36 gauge. Barrels are 30” and it weighs 5lbs 1oz. with a 14” LOP.

I have some vintage shot and powder dispensers that will work well with this gun. I am going to use 2 drams of 2f and 3/4oz of shot. That little white dispenser with the leather cord is full of 4F to prime the pans.

This should be a fun little muzzleloader. We'll see if I can pull of a double with it the next time I shoot sporting clays.

Brian Dudley 04-10-2023 07:29 AM

Cool. I have been being drawn to the black powder side recently myself. I just picked ip a new 20g pedersoli flintlock. I have not had the chance to shoot it yet.

charlie cleveland 04-10-2023 08:28 AM

it s a beauty.....who could pass up a beauty like this one...charlie

Jay Oliver 04-10-2023 10:15 AM

Brian, I think you will enjoy that 20 gauge flintlock. It is fun to slow down and take a step back in time. And when everything comes together and you hit a bird/target it is such a wonderful feeling.

Stan Hillis 04-10-2023 08:17 PM

I have killed limits of doves with a 16 ga. percussion double, but a flinter would be just over the top!

Very nice looking gun!

Jay Oliver 04-11-2023 01:31 PM

Stan, there a few more variables, but when everything is working it is wonderful. I have a few single barrel flintlock fowlers which are a lot of fun.

I also have an original percussion sxs, that really shoots as well as any modern gun.

I did the muzzleloading shoot at the southern a few years ago and loved every minute of it.

Arthur Shaffer 04-12-2023 08:46 AM

I have never owned a flintlock, just percussion, so excuse theis question as pure ignorance.

Was it common for period small bores to have such large lock systems? That is a beautiful gun, but it seems the entire gun is "between the hands" so to speak. Most percussions I have examined seem to have been more scaled to bore from end to end. I wondered if this is due to currently available locks or if this is a trait of period guns too.

Brian Dudley 04-12-2023 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arthur Shaffer (Post 386771)
I have never owned a flintlock, just percussion, so excuse theis question as pure ignorance.

Was it common for period small bores to have such large lock systems? That is a beautiful gun, but it seems the entire gun is "between the hands" so to speak. Most percussions I have examined seem to have been more scaled to bore from end to end. I wondered if this is due to currently available locks or if this is a trait of period guns too.

Well, The Flint Lock has to sit on the side of the barrels along with the pan, frizzen and hammer and all. Vs. on a percussion gun, the nipple can be at the back of the barrel and the hammer can wrap up around to it. The percussion locks and ignition allow for a much slimmer gun.

Granted on a very smaller bore gun, a pistol lock could be used to reduce the size a little. Which it looks like Jays gun could have maybe benefitted from.

Jay Oliver 04-12-2023 04:23 PM

I agree, I think the same locks with 28 or 20 gauge barrels would have been perfect.

In the early 1800s they would angle the locks/stock heads which helped too. I have a 10 gauge double, which looks huge where the locks are.