Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Foto Fridays (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Parker-Hawes Fly Rods (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=700)

Bruce Day 10-19-2009 09:49 AM

Parker-Hawes Fly Rods

4 Attachment(s)
8ft 5wt

9ft 8wt

Both rods have red agate stripper guides, one has an agate tip top. Both three section with extra tip. Both have wood seats with friction bands. The maker's mark is on the seat cap. They come with aluminum tubes and black fabric bags.

Made 1926-1936.

The rods are owned by a friend. The reel is mine but an old Hardy or Dingley would be more commensurate in age. I'm looking for a rod.

Dean Romig 10-19-2009 11:08 AM

Good to see you back Bruce!

Are those rods yours? They're beauties for sure!
I've seen a lot of old collectible-name rods but never a Parker-Hawes. They must be about as scarce as gills on a grouse.

Dave Fuller 10-19-2009 11:20 AM

I've looked for a long time and never found one. Very nice Bruce

Sante Giuliani 10-19-2009 11:30 AM

Have owned a few Hawes Rods over the years and have seen several more but these photos of the Parker-Hawes are stunning and would love to own one myself especially that 8'. It is generally believed that all of the Parker-Hawes creations were by Hiram Hawes' son Merritt, thanks for sharing them.

Destry L. Hoffard 10-19-2009 07:20 PM

The Master Waterfowler Returns!

Bruce Day 10-20-2009 10:07 AM

Sante', thanks for refreshing my recollection about Merritt Hawes. I too have seen or been offered original Hiram Hawes rods, wonderful craftsmanship by the way, but the Parker-Hawes rods by Merritt Hawes seem to be even more uncommon, or at least I have yet to find one that is or might be available. But the enjoyment is often in the journey, so maybe some day. Do you see any difference in craftsmanship between the Hiram and Merritt Hawes rods?

Do I understand correctly that Hiram H. worked for Leonard? Did Merritt also?

Sante Giuliani 10-20-2009 10:37 AM

Hiram Hawes, and his brother Loman worked for Hiram Leonard, Loman was the genius behind the Leonard beveler (and later as part of the team of Thomas, Edwards & Hawes after breaking from Leonard) and Hiram Hawes the genius behind the tapers, his influence was from the tournament style casting perspective. The Hawes boys were nephews of Leonard all very capable rod smiths.

Hiram married Cora Leonard (Hiram Leonard's daughter who held many tournament casting titles on her own) and after Leonard died Cora, Hiram and Mrs Leonard all moved to Canterbury CT, I don't believe young Merritt worked at Leonard but he obviously learned at the hands of a master in his father. The numbers kind of equal out, i.e. there were probably around the same amount of rods made by Hiram as there were by Merritt according to the writings of Martin J. Keane and not a lot realistically.

Bruce Day 10-20-2009 10:58 AM

An interesting history. Obviously when Parker had the opportunity to partner with Merritt Hawes for marketing and distribution of a bamboo fly rod, they chose one of the best.

Francis Morin 10-21-2009 09:04 PM

Nice rods indeed

[QUOTE=Bruce Day;5850]An interesting history. Obviously when Parker had the opportunity to partner with Merritt Hawes for marketing and distribution of a bamboo fly rod, they chose one of the best. And the Stan Bogdan "Trout" model reel is a fine choice as well. My favorite rods were the pre-fire Leonard 3 pc. series- the 49 7 & 1/2 ft 3/2 5 wt and the popular 50DF or even the Richard Hunt series of tapers. Very interesting about the relationships between the Leonard, Hawes, Thomas and others of the long-ago now era of craftsmanship. I believe Winchester also marketed cane rods in the 1920-1930 era, have only seen one- not sure of the manufacturer. Michigan where I live gave birth to the lates Lyle Dickerson and Paul Young, I have a Paul Young 7 & 1/2 foot 2/2 "Perfectionist" made in the 1950's in Detroit when they sold at retail with bag and Champion tube for $60.00. It is a "Steinway" indeed, I use a Hardy LRH on it with a Wulff TT 4/5 line-:bowdown:

Sante Giuliani 10-21-2009 09:37 PM

You have fine taste in bamboo sir! I owned an original Model 50 DF Hunt 8' 3 pc CA 1928 it is now making another smile. Many of the Winchester rods were made by Eustis Edwards then later by lesser makers. I too enjoy the works of your Michigander's and have owned, or own still, rods by Dickerson (7613, 8014, 8014 Guide, 8015 Guide Special, 8615, 9015, 9015 Special, 901812, 962013 and a bait caster) Young (Para 15 Deluxe KT Keller Model, Midge owned by Dody Ford (Edsel's daughter and Henry's grand daughter) a Martha Marie and Martha Marie Young's personal Perfectionist made for a 4 wt dt silk line marked in Paul Young's hand) Bob Summers model 856 and Morris Kushner's Formula B....... Love Bogdan and Hardy reels too!

http://www1.zoto.com/fishnbanjo/img/...412c9b29df.jpg

[QUOTE=Francis Morin;5925]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce Day (Post 5850)
An interesting history. Obviously when Parker had the opportunity to partner with Merritt Hawes for marketing and distribution of a bamboo fly rod, they chose one of the best. And the Stan Bogdan "Trout" model reel is a fine choice as well. My favorite rods were the pre-fire Leonard 3 pc. series- the 49 7 & 1/2 ft 3/2 5 wt and the popular 50DF or even the Richard Hunt series of tapers. Very interesting about the relationships between the Leonard, Hawes, Thomas and others of the long-ago now era of craftsmanship. I believe Winchester also marketed cane rods in the 1920-1930 era, have only seen one- not sure of the manufacturer. Michigan where I live gave birth to the lates Lyle Dickerson and Paul Young, I have a Paul Young 7 & 1/2 foot 2/2 "Perfectionist" made in the 1950's in Detroit when they sold at retail with bag and Champion tube for $60.00. It is a "Steinway" indeed, I use a Hardy LRH on it with a Wulff TT 4/5 line-:bowdown: