Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Parker Restoration (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   A Grade Restoration Query (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=25686)

Corey Barrette 11-11-2018 10:48 PM

A Grade Restoration Query

5 Attachment(s)
I’m looking into purchasing an A grade that appears to be an all original gun but could use some work. It needs re-stocking and the screws need to be replaced as they’re pretty buggered. Will be taking the gun to my smith for further evaluation and condition of the barrels/bores. However, they look clean; no visible pitting. Any opinions related to the restoration work and/or recommendations related to who may do the work should I ‘pull the trigger’ on this one would be greatly appreciated. Seems an interesting gun to me. That said I’m not too familiar. Appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Corey Barrette 11-11-2018 10:55 PM

A Grade Restoration Query (2)

5 Attachment(s)
Additional pics.

Robert Delk 11-12-2018 12:44 AM

Gotta be one of a kind engraving.Would love to see it in person.

Frank Childrey 11-12-2018 02:39 AM

I'd sure like to see a letter on that one.

Corey Barrette 11-12-2018 06:00 AM

I’ve sent in a request. In any case, it will help me and the current owner understand more about its provenance.

Dean Romig 11-12-2018 06:59 AM

An extremely unusual Parker in so many respects.

Engraved wedges like that on Damascus barrels is only the second example I have ever seen.

It wouldn’t surprise me to learn that grip cap may well have been done by Parker on special order. Are those letters “CSA”?

The relief engraving is also highly unusual and while we have seen others with similar engraving they are very few.

If you’re thinking it needs restocking because of that fractured wrist, think again.
If no pieces are missing, an artist like David Trevallion or Brian Board should be consulted. It could be saved and the repair made both strong and invisible - and you would maintain the originality of the gun.

Mike McKinney 11-12-2018 07:53 AM

I agree with Dean, explore a repair before you commit to a restock.

Bill Mullins 11-12-2018 08:58 AM

It appears you are looking at a AAH grade gun rather than a AH grade.
A 7 is stamped on the barrel flats and barrel beading is that of a AA grade. Trigger guard piercing also normally just seen on grade 7 & 8 grades.
Keep it ALL original as much as possible! 🤗😊

John Campbell 11-12-2018 09:03 AM

Mr. Barrette:
There has GOT to be a great story behind this gun! Please do NOT restock it. Have the existing wood repaired. The craftsmen already mentioned are superb. So is the Brad Bachelder shop.

The history and story behind the original owner of this Parker will certainly be well worth the effort. It's history, just waiting to be discovered!

Mills Morrison 11-12-2018 09:36 AM

Lots of good advice here. I will add that IF you restock it, keep the old stock with it

Mark Ray 11-12-2018 10:54 AM

Dave Wolf in Waco Texas could fix that wrist and also restore the wood appearance inside the SSBP, and the repairs would probably be invisible...

Mark Ray 11-12-2018 10:57 AM

Also....am I seeing it right that is SIX iron Damascus!! Super cool gun to say the least.

Dean Romig 11-12-2018 11:14 AM

Yep, six-iron crolle. Good eye Mark!

I had expected to see a DD stamp but couldn't see one.

John Knobelsdorf II 11-12-2018 11:45 AM

My best guess is, we are looking at the final D7 gun. Page 403 in Price & Fjestad’s serilization book.

Corey Barrette 11-12-2018 11:58 AM

Many thanks to each of you thus far for your replies. I hadn’t realized the gun may be able to be adequately repaired in its current condition to be fully functioning. Will certainly learn more once I receive the letter and have someone else take a look at it (barrels etc). As mentioned, aside from the stock and screws it’s in good shape. Pictures don’t do the engraving justice.

Dean Romig 11-12-2018 12:09 PM

Repairing the original stock may prove to be less expensive than making a new stock befitting that gun.

Corey Barrette 11-12-2018 12:36 PM

3 Attachment(s)
From the serial number the gun was manufactured in 1907. The gun is accompanied with what looks to be the original leg o mutton case. The nameplate on the case is labeled ‘T.S. Sharretts.

From a quick search on the Net T. S. Sharretts was appointed U.S. Commissioner to China by Teddy Roosevelt in the Dept of Treasury. There are references to him in decisions surrounding trade and commerce in 1898 and 1902 which would be around the time of the gun’s manufacture. Who knows, he may have hunted with President Roosevelt. Any other thoughts from the historians?

The gun also had a cotton slip on it with a name written in pen ‘C. R. Sharretts’. See photos below.

Brian Dudley 11-12-2018 12:58 PM

A VERY unique gun is nearly all respects, mostly due to the engraving work on the gun.

If restoration is to be undertaken, only the best craftsmen should be considered who will devote the time and attention to detail required for a gun like this.

Unless you are limited by your budget, I would recommend just replacing the stock completely. Though a very good repair would be had from a cosmetic standpoint, if the gun is to be used at all, the structural integrity of the repair long term will always be a concern. New wood properly fitted will eliminate ANY concern.

John Campbell 11-12-2018 01:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's an interesting bit:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Monterey_(BM-6)

"The Monterey operating from July 1900 to September 1901 as station ship at Shanghai, voyaging upriver to Nanking from 25 to 31 July 1902 with Special Commissioner T. S. Sharretts on board for a diplomatic mission..."

Also, please consider that the original stock of this gun is at least half of its historical value!

Eric Eis 11-12-2018 02:50 PM

If you want to replace the stock go ahead, but keep the original stock and have it properly repaired. I think that if one of the craftsman that were mentioned above fixed the stock properly there would be no concern with shooting it with low pressure loads for the next fifty years or more. I know of a of a Boss shotgun that the stock was in four pieces and one of the above fixed it and you can barely see the repair and he has been shooting if for the five years without a hiccup....

Craig Larter 11-12-2018 06:38 PM

Corey you are a very fortunate man to be the caretaker of a unique Parker. Thanks for posting the pictures for us lovers of American gun art. The gun would maintain it's maximum value by having a top stock man repair the original stock in my opinion. Tell us a little more about how you came upon the gun. Craig Larter

Jay Gardner 11-12-2018 06:59 PM

That is a piece of history. Wow.

Corey Barrette 11-12-2018 08:48 PM

Regarding the gun, my wife had seen advertised a gun cabinet that she knew I could use; having outgrown my existing 12 gun case by haf as many.

Upon stopping by to pick up the cabinet, I mentioned to the seller that I collected shotguns; most recently, for the past few years, Parkers. He mentioned that he knew there was a Parker, one of two guns in this family, that may be for sale. I took the pics while visiting and talking with him about it. He needed a bit of time and recently contacted me to discuss further. He wants it to go to a collector vs. a dealer.

So, at the end of the day, if it all works out, I can blame my wife for locating it and uncovering a fine gun and a bit of history. :rotf:

Certainly, my first, and likely only, experience with a ‘barn find’. Fascinating as well for me to be part of this organization and for the years of experience openly shared. All part of the magic. Thanks.

Mark Ray 11-12-2018 11:13 PM

Great story. As an aside, I have Pape english 12 that Dave Wolf repaired a smashed wrist on 20 years ago. I have shot many many 3 3/4-1 1/4 pigeon loads thru that gun, and have had no issues. It was at least as bad as that beautiful Parker!

Corey Barrette 11-12-2018 11:18 PM

If all works out, based on the feedback, that’s the route I’m likely to take. Thanks for the vote of confidence.

edgarspencer 11-13-2018 07:35 AM

Sometimes, a coincidence is just a coincidence.

Barrette Sharretts

Dave Noreen 11-13-2018 07:38 PM

There are bits of "grey matter" all over my office from my mind being blown!! What a great find!!

edgarspencer 11-13-2018 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Ray (Post 257914)
Dave Wolf in Waco Texas could fix that wrist and also restore the wood appearance inside the SSBP, and the repairs would probably be invisible...

I may be mistaken, but I believe the butt treatment, inside the SSBP, is leather, as was the case on many high grade Parkers.

Brian Dudley 11-13-2018 10:37 PM

The butt appears to have been shortened. The toe of the ssbp has been crudely ground down as it would be if the LOP was reduced (screws being put of whack too).

The wood area in the middle of the buttplate was re-inletted poorly and an attempt to stipple it was made instead of proper checkering.

Phillip Carr 11-13-2018 11:21 PM

To the untrained eye (mine ) it looked correct. It alway surprises me what other are able to detect from pictures. Really a cool Parker.
Looking forward to more pictures and information from the letter. Thanks for sharing.

Corey Barrette 11-14-2018 12:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
See below the letter received related to this gun (and case)

Dean Romig 11-14-2018 06:51 AM

Very nice.

Most Parker research letters leave us with many unanswered questions and this one is no exception, but there it is - everything there is to know about this gun.

Thank you.

John Campbell 11-14-2018 08:48 AM

It appears as though this was a complete kit ordered from Parker. And it remains intact with the original LOM case. All of it for a notable figure in American history. Great find!

And please understand, that whatever issues the stock may have suffered through time can be totally remedied by one of the top craftsmen mentioned. And... the gun will be usable with reasonable cartridges, such as RST 1 oz. loads.

Finally, $425 in 1907 had the same buying power as $11,857.49 current dollars.

Dean Romig 11-14-2018 08:50 AM

But it would be impossible to have such a gun made today for only $11,858.00

keavin nelson 11-14-2018 08:53 AM

Definitely have the stock repaired. I shot my LC Ideal grade last thursday at SC that was almost as bad, it is holding fine after many rounds, and you can't see the repair which I did some years ago. No not lobbying for work, and I wouldn't take it on if asked. But the stock is at least half of the history, not to mention nice wood. Truly an extraordinary find!

Frank Childrey 11-14-2018 10:58 AM

You know, the more I look at that gun it just seems to me that someone tried to destroy it. Of course, we'll never know. But in any case, it's a real shame that it has surfaced in the condition that it is in.

Dean Romig 11-14-2018 12:21 PM

But it is fantastic that it has surfaced at all.

Mills Morrison 11-14-2018 12:33 PM

It is great that it has surfaced and will now be rescued. You just wonder what else lies out there waiting to be discovered as well

edgarspencer 11-14-2018 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edgarspencer (Post 258025)
I may be mistaken, but I believe the butt treatment, inside the SSBP, is leather, as was the case on many high grade Parkers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Dudley (Post 258028)
The butt appears to have been shortened. The toe of the ssbp has been crudely ground down as it would be if the LOP was reduced (screws being put of whack too).

The wood area in the middle of the buttplate was re-inletted poorly and an attempt to stipple it was made instead of proper checkering.

Well then, I guess I was part right....... The part where I said "I may be mistaken,..." that's what I get for looking at pictures on my phone instead of my 24" monitor.

John Campbell 11-14-2018 03:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Indeed. Without a hands-on examination, many aspects of an old gun can slip past the eye.

So, I thought I'd point out that the wrist of this gun has been repaired in the past (note the rectangular wood inserts in this enhanced pic). The failure of that repair (due to heavy loads?) led to further crack/split distress. But, all can still be saved.