Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Parker Restoration (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   A Grade Restoration Query (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=25686)

Steve Huffman 11-14-2018 07:18 PM

I would like to know if the letter would state what type of engraving that should be on this gun as one would think it would be a special order. I ask this question because I dont know the answer . I am not knocking this gun in anyway. Just very different from anything I have seen .

Corey Barrette 11-14-2018 07:42 PM

3 Attachment(s)
The gun is as specified in the letter. According to page 353 of The Parker Story, Volume I, this is one of 3 Grade 7 guns manufactured with Damascus barrels.

Thanks, Bill, for a great conversation last eve and for sharing your experience.

This Parker has found a new home. :)

Additional pics attached.

Corey Barrette 11-14-2018 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edgarspencer (Post 258075)
Well then, I guess I was part right....... The part where I said "I may be mistaken,..." that's what I get for looking at pictures on my phone instead of my 24" monitor.

You are correct, Edgar. The treatment below the SSBP is, in fact, leather. Good eye.

Corey Barrette 11-14-2018 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Huffman (Post 258094)
I would like to know if the letter would state what type of engraving that should be on this gun as one would think it would be a special order. I ask this question because I dont know the answer . I am not knocking this gun in anyway. Just very different from anything I have seen .

The letter did not specify engraving or request for specific style. Based on conversation last eve, the engraver may have been Frederick W. Anschutz, senior engraver. Photo and reference from The Parker Story, volume 2, page 452.

edgarspencer 11-14-2018 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corey Barrette (Post 258097)

This Parker has found a new home. :)

Congratulations, Corey. I'm willing to bet you're pretty excited.
Oh, and Thank you for letting me know my eyes haven't failed me. Brian, you don't need to apologize, just send me a bottle of good single malt.

Dean Romig 11-14-2018 09:15 PM

Not to be contradictory to any of my friends but Parker’s senior engraver in 1907 was William H. Gough, Harry’s son... and those look like Gough’s dogs IMHO.

Corey Barrette 11-14-2018 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Romig (Post 258106)
Not to be contradictory to any of my friends but Parker’s senior engraver in 1907 was William H. Gough, Harry’s son... and those look like Gough’s dogs IMHO.

Let the debate ensue.

Brett Hoop 11-14-2018 10:29 PM

Congratulations on your unearthing of such a wonderful and special Parker. And many thanks for sharing it here with us.

Jay Gardner 11-14-2018 10:33 PM

Interesting the receiver and trigger guard have a very Art Deco design which seems way ahead of its time given the year of production. Given the uniqueness it’s hard to imagine the style wasn’t requested specifically.

Bill Mullins 11-14-2018 11:26 PM

Please view Figure 8.71, page 318, and Figure 16.65, page 702 of The Parker Story. Check dog on floor plate and ducks engraved on the sides and the distinct similarities of the two guns. This particular gun has a letter from Ron Kirby, Executive Director of the PGCA at that time, that states: “Parker notables, Phenix, Anschutz, Bannister, and Storm, worked on this gun”. Figure 11.2, page
452, (1908 picture) and Figure 11.29, page 479 of The Parker Story, Volume 2, indicates Frederick W. Anschutz, Senior Engraver. Anschutz was of German descent and was the go to engraver for deep relief and semi-deep relief engraving. The authors of The Parker Story were told in an interview with the late Robert P. “Bob” Runge, that his father Robert R. Runge shared a story with him that Parker Brothers thought Anschutz was devoting too much time on deep relief engraving in the 1905 - 1908, etc. time period. They requested him to do
less time consuming engraving. As one would expect deep relief engraving requires more metal to be removed. 😊