Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Parker Reproductions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Case hardening. (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=26887)

john neal 03-24-2019 08:04 PM

Case hardening.

I have a reproduction I am thinking of sending to be color hardened, I have a 71 Winchester that was done by turnbull. His stuff looks good on a 71 or 86 but I’m afraid it would be a bit much for a 00 frame. Any thoughts

Scot Cardillo 03-24-2019 08:21 PM

If I’m not mistaken, I think Brian Dudley, who is an active member on this site, uses Turnbull for most of his color case. Brian knows Parkers and seems to be of the opinion that DTurnbull replicates the original Parker colors about as good as anyone, so Turnbull’s probably a safe bet. There are others out there as well and I’m sure some members will chime in. Welcome to the site..there’s a great deal of collective knowledge here.

Jay Gardner 03-24-2019 09:54 PM

Bachelder case hardened my 28 Repro and I could not be happier.

JDG

Dean Romig 03-24-2019 10:18 PM

How about folks posting pics of their Parkers re-cased by the various shops who specialize in bone charcoal color case hardening, along with the approximate year it was done. That way we can make a more informed decision.

Brian Dudley 03-25-2019 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by john neal (Post 269897)
I have a reproduction I am thinking of sending to be color hardened, I have a 71 Winchester that was done by turnbull. His stuff looks good on a 71 or 86 but I’m afraid it would be a bit much for a 00 frame. Any thoughts

You cannot go wrong with turnbull.

The frame size has nothing to do with it.

Brian Dudley 03-25-2019 07:05 AM

The only note i would like to add about re-coloring any repro is that the original “engraving” on them, DHEs particularly, being that they are mostly machine cut is very shallow and lacking detail/dimension. So, the engraving can get a little lost to the eye with new bone charcoal case colors. It is always a good idea to considder having the engraving chased and embellished by hand to make it better stand out. But, that would also add a considerable amount of cost to the job.

Randy G Roberts 03-25-2019 07:10 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Turnbull colors done about a year or so ago on a VHE.

Kirk Potter 03-25-2019 07:20 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Turnbull.

Dean Romig 03-25-2019 07:26 AM

As shown, Turnbull colors are predominantly a deep blue and are nearly always recognizable as his. My personal preference would be to see more ‘rust-red’ sheen in the mix. This is not to say Turnbull colors aren’t beautiful and well done!

It is difficult to find someone who accurately can replicate original Parker case color. That is why I suggested folks to show their ‘re-cased’ guns, when done and by what shop.

Randy G Roberts 03-25-2019 07:41 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Turnbull gun he did in 2003. I'm with you Dean in that some of them have a bit much of that blue hue to them which Ballistol really brings out.