Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Parker Discussions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Info Request Parker 20 ga GH Damascus bbl (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=29599)

Don Strelioff 03-08-2020 09:53 PM

Info Request Parker 20 ga GH Damascus bbl

barrel flat D4. Barrel weight 3.2 on the other side J.G. inside a circle actually more of a oval
Dom 1919 26” bbl 2 1/2” Cham o frame GH
Chokes full and possibly imp mod
What would be production numbers for this configuration
When did Parker cease production of Damascus guns
Curious about shooting smokeless loads low pressure 2.5” likely hand load

Condition of gun is excellent bores are
Bright all screws are unmolested . Many questions from a novice

Dean Romig 03-09-2020 06:22 AM

If it’s as nice as you say, don’t lengthen the chambers - you’ll decrease its value by doing so.
Just shoot RST shells or 2 1/2” shells of another name - they’re readily available... or load your own.

1919 is very late in Damascus barrelled Parkers, but not the latest.

Jay Gardner 03-09-2020 06:34 AM

Under no circumstances should you lengthen the chambers. There are plenty of options for short low pressure loads suitable for the the gun, as is.

Reggie Bishop 03-09-2020 06:59 AM

Post up some pics! We like pics! And I would echo what the others have said, please do NOT lengthen the chambers!

Eric Eis 03-09-2020 07:20 AM

Send in for a letter, it might tell you some interesting facts about the gun. It's cheaper to become a member of the PGCA and get the letter then a non-member, plus you get the Parker Pages quarterly and be able to see the members only forums which include Buy and Sell ads

Don Strelioff 03-09-2020 07:36 AM

Thanks guys it is very nice that is what prompted me to buy it I was really looking for a non Damascus gun but came across this one I will not lengthen the chambers as far as the whole Damascus thing I’m not going to get to involved in that conversation /safety / strength/ lever sits well to the right no dents no corrosion. A very rare find in Saskatoon Canada . The only issue is finding the correct ammo in this country is not that easy . Thanks for your input

edgarspencer 03-09-2020 08:02 AM

Damascus 20 gauge guns are fairly scarce, and in unmolested original condition, even more so. You're a fortunate man to find a good one.
A friend sent me a lovely straight stocked GH20, but the horrendous pitting in the bores, in the critical high pressure areas, scared me off. I heard that a well known shop bought it and deemed it safe

Don Strelioff 03-09-2020 08:25 AM

As mentioned I was absolutely amazed at the condition of the over all gun bores are brite not even a trace of pitting or even discolouration. If it showed any issues what so ever I would have passed on it

Drew Hause 03-09-2020 08:41 AM

The latest hammerless damascus barrels are SN 220,657 GH D3 1927, SN 222,845 DHE D4 1927, and SN 227,020 VHE D3 1928. I don't know the gauges though and maybe someone would kindly check the book.

Don: the case colors should be as bright as the bores. If the colors are faded or worn, the barrels may have been honed.

Mills Morrison 03-09-2020 08:41 AM

Welcome Don! Please post some pictures when you can. Sounds like a very nice gun. I have a GH 20 Damascus, but mine is much earlier.

You should join PGCA as well