Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Parker Restoration (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   S.W. Silvers Pad Ordered: (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=33588)

Bruce P Bruner 06-25-2021 06:12 AM

S.W. Silvers Pad Ordered:

1 Attachment(s)
Just an informational heads up. I successfully ordered a S.W. Silvers recoil pad from Kynamco LTD, Bury St. Edmun, GBR. It was simple, I first ordered the pad on their web page and they in turn emailed my invoice the next day. At 3:30 A.M. I called Steve Boor and gave him my CC information. The Red pad was billed at 32.05 (discounted a bit from their published price) & Carriage was 23.25 in their currency, converted to US Dollars my CC was billed $77.36. I mentioned that there were no US distributers currently retailing their pads and he said they had dropped the ball in that regard. He also mentioned that in the past they had set up for the Las Vegas show.
So, if you need an original Silvers pad it's really quite easy.
No 3 Recoil Pad Red or Black £38.46
No 3A Recoil Pad Best London Orange £40.26
No 4 Recoil Pad Red or Black £41.40
No 4A Recoil Pad Best London Orange £43.44

http://www.kynochammunition.co.uk/silvers.html

Stan Hillis 06-25-2021 06:25 AM

I bought several from CSMC (Galazan's) a couple years ago, in those exact same bags, at the Bray's Island Exposition. Do they no longer handle them?

Bruce P Bruner 06-25-2021 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stan Hillis (Post 337272)
I bought several from CSMC (Galazan's) a couple years ago, in those exact same bags, at the Bray's Island Exposition. Do they no longer handle them?

I had previously checked their webpage and the one they offer is a reproduction I think.
They said something like they worked hard to duplicate the correct color. In their photo the color didn't look correct to me. I believe the ones you procured were either sold out and or discontinued.

Bruce P Bruner 06-25-2021 08:49 AM

Update on delivery:

I just now received an update via FedEx that the Silvers package from Stansted, ES was picked up. I am impressed with their customer service.

Craig Budgeon 06-25-2021 09:41 AM

Galazan did offer both original and repro Silvers pads.

David C Porter 06-25-2021 09:47 AM

Galazan still offers the S W Silvers #3 for $50.00

Bruce P Bruner 06-25-2021 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David C Porter (Post 337288)

Maybe it's just me but the photo on their webpage doesn't look the same. I'm considering putting it on my DHE. I haven't made up my mind but I would only use an original one. There's no doubt in my mind by getting one from across the pond.

David C Porter 06-25-2021 12:10 PM

They offer both red, & orange and are marked S W Silvers on the back.

Brian Dudley 06-25-2021 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David C Porter (Post 337288)

Those are not legitimate Silvers pads. They are reproductions. They are nice pads though. I have used them for years. They are un-spurred. Have straight plugs vs. tapered and are harder rubber than the actual silvers pads.

When galazan offered the actual silvers pads they were $75.

David C Porter 06-25-2021 01:20 PM

Galazan offers both reproduction & S W Silvers marked pads that are the same current manufacturer as the ones you get in the UK. S W Silvers probably hasn't been in business for many years & whether you buy the S W Silvers pad here or the UK its the same pad. The new pads are better than the original pads that degrade with shinking and cracking

Brian Dudley 06-25-2021 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David C Porter (Post 337302)
Galazan offers both reproduction & S W Silvers marked pads that are the same current manufacturer as the ones you get in the UK. S W Silvers probably hasn't been in business for many years & whether you buy the S W Silvers pad here or the UK its the same pad. The new pads are better than the original pads that degrade with shinking and cracking

Think what you want, or say what you want. It simply is not that case.

Galazan has previously offered 3 different pads at 3 different price points. The $30 "Period Correct" recoil pad (these are junk in my opinion), the $50 "#3 Pad S.W. Silver & Co Style" ("Style" is the key word), and the $75 "Original S.W. Silvers Recoil Pad".

I am looking at these offerings as I write this in Galazans Catalog number 20. The current catalog number 23 does not have the $75 pad in it anymore.

The $75 pad was an actual Silvers Pad imported from England, which is the same pad you would buy from Kynoch today. The $50 pad is and always was a Reproduction. Again, note the catalog title calling it a Silvers "style" pad.

David Noble 06-25-2021 03:28 PM

Bruce, I see you ordered the red pad? Was that the color Parker installed?

Bruce P Bruner 06-25-2021 06:44 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by David Noble (Post 337311)
Bruce, I see you ordered the red pad? Was that the color Parker installed?

The 1938 16 Gauge DHE, 30" Barrels, Special Order Code #19 - Ventilated Rib and Single Selective Trigger wears a brown, petrified "Frey Mershon Inc." pad marked "Pat. Ped." & "L.A. CAL.". The guns letter didn't indicate a pad. Some folks think it looks goofy, I'm used to it now and the LOP works at 14-1/4".
I wanted an original pad just in case I ever decide to replace the petrified (but whole) one. I'm okay with leaving it as is, though I could waver on the thought.
The 1897 32" barreled Syracuse L.C. Smith Grade 3 wears a very rustic Silver pad and it too could also be replaced. Perhaps I should have ordered a few more. I like to leave guns the way I find them, changing things for the sake of change doesn't interest me much.

Bruce P Bruner 06-26-2021 01:27 PM

Update: FedEx says the pad is in Fort Collins, Co. and will be delivered on Monday. Talk about FAST! Impressive. USPS took over 3 weeks for a recent domestic delivery.

chris dawe 06-26-2021 02:58 PM

I've orderd those pads from the UK bunch of times no issue

Bill Murphy 06-26-2021 07:57 PM

Silver, Silver, Silver.

Bruce P Bruner 06-28-2021 12:07 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The S.W. Silver pad arrived this morning. It's very large, enabling proper positioning and a lot of grinding. It's also very stout. Now I'll have decide if I should replace the petrified ventilated Frey "White Line" on my DHE. Would you?

Bill Murphy 06-28-2021 05:28 PM

I would not replace a possibly original Mershon pad, especially on a California gun.

Brian Dudley 06-28-2021 05:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
See here the marking on the inside of the reproduction Number 3 pad offered by Galazan at $50 price point.

As compared to the photo above. One states “made in england” the other no mention of origin.

Attachment 97214

Stan Hillis 06-29-2021 07:02 AM

IMO, these are very nice pads for a 10 or a 12 ga. gun, not so much for smaller bore guns. Reason is the large diameter of the plugs. In my eyes these pop the plugs look out of proportion to the overall size fo the pad after it has been ground down to fit a smallbore gun.

I looked "long and far" to find a pad of this type that had smaller plugs. My friend Bill Murphy told me that G & H used to sell one. I called them and was told that they were out of stock because of supply problems. This was several years ago. I would call back every few months and ask, but finally gave up. I found a nicely made pad of this type, with small plugs, at Mark Beasland's, and put it on my 16 AE Fox. Looks good. The only big difference I can see between it and the true Silver pad, is that the face of Mark's pad is slightly "sculpted" to better conform to the shoulder pocket.

I sure wish the pads that Bill told me about would become available once again, but Mark's pads are the best thing going right now, in that type, for small bores, again IMO.

additional info: I checked Mark's site after posting this and no accessories come up. They may not be available during this crazy time of supply chain disruptions. A call to him would determine that.

Bill Murphy 06-29-2021 07:13 AM

I can't imagine why the #3 Silver pad, so marked, is not made by Silver, but Dudley knows what he is talking about. What do the plugs look like on that pad Brian posted pictures of? There must be a few Griffin and Howe pads floating around, because they used to sell them by the dozen at a reduced price.

Brian Dudley 06-29-2021 08:43 AM

For small bore guns the Noshoc pads work great. They are closer screw spacing and the plugs are very small. And the noshoc logo is easily removed with abrasive paper. It looks just like a mini silvers pad when done.

Brian Dudley 06-29-2021 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Murphy (Post 337504)
I can't imagine why the #3 Silver pad, so marked, is not made by Silver, but Dudley knows what he is talking about. What do the plugs look like on that pad Brian posted pictures of? There must be a few Griffin and Howe pads floating around, because they used to sell them by the dozen at a reduced price.

The plugs on that Galazan pad are smaller than the silvers. And they are straight. Not tapered.

I have a couple G&H pads on hand. They have even smaller plugs. And are also straight.

Bill Murphy 06-29-2021 12:17 PM

I have used the NO-SHOC pad on small guns. Brian is correct, it is a great pad. For an older gun, I do not grind off the logo.

jefferyconnor 06-29-2021 04:08 PM

There are these:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/32414124717...oAAOSwY~penV2N
I've bought one, they are made in Italy and hard like a Silver's pad. There are no plugs, you cut a slit like a Pachmayr. They come in different thicknesses.

David C Porter 06-29-2021 04:46 PM

You can use a hole cutter & make your own plugs. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1748143360

You can also buy the Winchester Repoduction pad & they come with small plugs & grind off the logo. Galazon use to have these in 2-sizes: large & small. They did a close out on the small, but if you call they may still have some in stock. The small size were perfect for the small gauge stocks

Bill Murphy 06-29-2021 06:17 PM

The Midway pad information mentions a 1/8" plug. Do you know what 1/8" looks like? I don't know whether I would recommend something like that.

David C Porter 06-29-2021 06:29 PM

They make 1/8 & 1/4". You can also make one from a piece of thin wall tubing in any size you want.

Craig Budgeon 06-29-2021 06:53 PM

The very early G&H pads had a delamination problem, the junk pads Brian mentioned do not have the mounting holes symetric with the plug holes, and both of the Slivers pads need a simple drill jig to install the mounting holes using a drill press preferably.

Craig Budgeon 06-29-2021 09:03 PM

Meant to say concentric instead of symmetric.

allen newell 09-08-2021 08:07 PM

Brad Bachelder installed a silvers pad on a 20 ga Parker Trojan that he fully restored for me. Looks nice and stays on my shoulder

Bruce P Bruner 09-12-2021 07:14 AM

The Silver pad is still in the packaging. I haven't found a need for it just yet. However, there is a Titanic barreled Parker BH on GB that could use one. That Grade 5 could also use some TLC throughout, though a rather expensive project. Perhaps someone here is in an adoptive mood. Some Parker's just need and rightfully deserve some help. I have no affiliation:
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/910249436

Brian Dudley 09-12-2021 09:17 AM

The base for the original pad is still on that gun. As long it is not damaged, it is a perfect candidate for cleaning up and putting only new rubber on. The stock on that gun looks like it may be not very shootable for most. I love the engraving on the side of the gun.

Dean Romig 09-12-2021 10:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I especially love the engraving on the floor plate.

Garry L Gordon 09-12-2021 10:44 AM

That is indeed nice engraving on that gun. Brian is right about those stock dimensions.

Bob Brown 09-12-2021 01:26 PM

I like that pheasant engraved on the floor plate. Wouldn't 1902 be early for pheasants engraved on Parkers?

Dean Romig 09-12-2021 02:06 PM

Pheasants were first hunted in Oregon in 1892 and on the first day of the Oregon season some 50,000 pheasants were killed.