Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Wild Game Recipes (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Hunters Delight - Venison Crock Pot (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=31662)

Garth Gustafson 11-20-2020 07:38 AM

Hunters Delight - Venison Crock Pot

1/2 lb bacon, diced
2-1/2 lbs red potatoes, sliced
2 medium onions, sliced
1-1/2 lbs boneless venison, cubed
2 cans (14-3/4 oz ea.) cream style corn
3 Tbsp Worcestershire
1 Tsp sugar
1/2 to 1 Tsp seasoned salt

Cook the bacon in a skillet until just done
Combine all the ingredients in a 5 Qt crockpot
Cover & cook on low for 6-8 hours until meat & potatoes are tender
Yields 8 servings

John Dallas 11-20-2020 08:23 AM

While you've got the crock pot out, take the neck roast (about 10" long, vertebrae included) add can of mushroom soup, onion soup mix and some water. Cook for a long time. It's delicious, and the meat falls off the bones. Not trimming required

Mike Koneski 11-20-2020 10:10 AM

Now you guys went and did it! Now I need to make venison sauerbraten and spaetzle!!

Brian Dudley 11-20-2020 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Dallas (Post 316417)
While you've got the crock pot out, take the neck roast (about 10" long, vertebrae included) add can of mushroom soup, onion soup mix and some water. Cook for a long time. It's delicious, and the meat falls off the bones. Not trimming required

I regularly make venison soup from the necks. But I will sure try this as I still have a neck left in the freezer.

Andrew Sacco 11-22-2020 05:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I made this today. Roasted shoulder, seasoned ricotta and chilled asparagus salad with champagne vinaigrette. A fantastic, simple to make cold dish perfect as an appetizer. My wife got me the book, Venison, From Slay to Gourmet. I recommend this book, and am also a huge fan of Hank Shaw's work. Best part is you can roast the shoulder ahead and put in the fridge, then make it days later if you want. The ricotta is seasoned with honey, parsley, capers, anchovie and salt/pepper. I would cut back the honey, it was a bit sweet for my taste.

Attachment 90170

Mike Koneski 11-22-2020 06:53 PM

Andy, that sounds great!

Brian Dudley 12-13-2020 06:31 PM

I made up this crockpot recipe tonight. We liked it a lot. I used white potatos instead since I had them on hand. And I halved it for just the two of us.

Jim Beilke 12-13-2020 08:10 PM

Tried the Crockpot recipie very good and well worth tring again

CraigThompson 12-14-2020 01:38 AM

If I can find my crockpot I might have to give this thing a go for our Xmas luncheon at the shop instead of bacon wrapped backstraps . Think I’ll do this crockpot deal and Pheasent jambalaya ! (Brought three dozen pheasents back from the tower shoot on 12-13-20) .

CraigThompson 12-14-2020 01:44 AM

I am reading it correctly ? 29 1/2 ounces of creamed corn ?

CraigThompson 12-14-2020 01:51 AM

Alright I went downstairs and read the label on a can of corn ! So you’re calling for two regular sized cans of creamed corn , I was thinking you meant two of the larger cans . Need to see if I can scrape up a ten quart crockpot to use so I can double up on your recipe .

CraigThompson 12-22-2020 03:02 PM

I cooked a five quart deal of this stuff ! All cleaned up at the shop today pretty darn quick :cool:

CraigThompson 12-24-2020 11:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I made a crockpot full of this stuff for lunch at the shop Tuesday and it all was scarfed up without any complaints ! So I just started another batch cooking for me , it oughtta get me thru the weekend I hope :whistle:

Andrew Sacco 12-24-2020 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraigThompson (Post 319721)
I made a crockpot full of this stuff for lunch at the shop Tuesday and it all was scarfed up without any complaints ! So I just started another batch cooking for me , it oughtta get me thru the weekend I hope :whistle:

Post a photo when it's DONE please. Merry Christmas everyone.

CraigThompson 12-24-2020 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Sacco (Post 319723)

For sure I meant to do that Tuesday but I got to talking at the shop and forgot . I actually cooked it Monday night poured it out of the crock pot into a thermos cooler Tuesday morning washed the pot and took it in to the shop hooked the pot back up and poured it back in the crock to warm even though it was still hot when I poured it out . Worked really well this way as I was able to cook two pan fulls of Pheasent jambalaya before or guests arrived and put the jambalaya in the same thermos cooler (after rinsed of course). This worked great compared to past years when I’d be cooking while folks were coming and going , and I wasn’t really able to talk to them .

Andrew Sacco 12-24-2020 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraigThompson (Post 319726)
For sure I meant to do that Tuesday but I got to talking at the shop and forgot . I actually cooked it Monday night poured it out of the crock pot into a thermos cooler Tuesday morning washed the pot and took it in to the shop hooked the pot back up and poured it back in the crock to warm even though it was still hot when I poured it out . Worked really well this way as I was able to cook two pan fulls of Pheasent jambalaya before or guests arrived and put the jambalaya in the same thermos cooler (after rinsed of course). This worked great compared to past years when I’d be cooking while folks were coming and going , and I wasn’t really able to talk to them .

I'm hungry..

CraigThompson 12-24-2020 05:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Sacco (Post 319723)

Needs about another 30-60 minutes I think . I do add 8 ounces of water above the recipe above . And next time I’m thinking I might add a can of green beans .

CraigThompson 12-24-2020 05:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I couldn’t wait ! With Cole slaw )store bought) , sourdough bread and cheese !

Andrew Sacco 12-24-2020 05:34 PM

I'm going to have to try this one. I agree with the green beans or maybe even a few lentils (which I love). Hungrier now. Heading to our Italian Christmas Eve seven fish dinner right now. Going to eat the house down.

Brian Dudley 12-24-2020 05:44 PM

The cream corn adds a lot of sweetness to it.

CraigThompson 12-24-2020 05:50 PM

I cut up parts of a hind quarter for both batches . I usually just make burger out of everything but the backstraps and inner tenderloin . But this seems to be a good snd EASY use for some of what we normally grind up !

Harold Lee Pickens 12-24-2020 09:38 PM

I love venison roasts, laid out a backstrap for Christmas day, with 8" of snow predicted, doesnt look like we will be going anywhere.

Jeff Kuss 01-04-2021 08:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I tried this recipe today. Wow! I did add some baby carrots and
some beef broth.

CraigThompson 01-04-2021 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Kuss (Post 320902)
I tried this recipe today. Wow! I did add some baby carrots and
some beef broth.

I do like carrots ! Your presentation far surpasses mine .

Harold Lee Pickens 01-05-2021 08:03 AM

I'm going to try this soon. Picking up my 8pt from the processor today. I always tell them I want as many roasts as possible, my favorite venison cut. Need to get the smoker running, have so many grouse and pheasant, need to make more room in the freezer.

CraigThompson 01-07-2021 03:05 PM

2 Attachment(s)
My third try of the stew since 12/22/20 . This time I added carrots snd green beans . I was mildly surprised as we had fewer people but it was almost all scarfed up .

Joseph Sheerin 01-07-2021 03:09 PM

Thanks, I have 3 Whitetail, and 3 Muleys in my freezer, always look'n for new recipes to mix things up. Yes, we eat a lot of venison. :D

CraigThompson 01-07-2021 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joseph Sheerin (Post 321252)
Thanks, I have 3 Whitetail, and 3 Muleys in my freezer, always look'n for new recipes to mix things up. Yes, we eat a lot of venison. :D

This stuff is easy to make . That’s a major selling point with me .

CraigThompson 01-17-2021 01:41 PM

I’ve been kicking around the idea of using Pheasent instead of venison .

CraigThompson 01-17-2021 03:22 PM

I just started my fourth pot full of this stuff about half an hour ago . Lunch at the shop for Monday . Again added carrots and green beans . Other three times I added a cup of water this time 1/2 a cup .

CraigThompson 01-22-2021 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joseph Sheerin (Post 321252)

We pretty much butcher ourselves . I’ll skin gut and cut up right after I kill them . But I cut the backstraps and tenderloin off bag them and put in my freezer . The rest I cut off the bone as the deer hangs from the gambrel . The boned out stuff I give to my gunsmith buddy to make burger . He usually grinds at the end of the season . But after making four pots of this stew I cut out four bags of the stuff he’d normally grind . This stew thing is looking like an excellent work saver all around :whistle:

CraigThompson 07-21-2021 06:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Made Garth’s crock pot stew two days ago . I add green beans and carrots in the mix . Also some coleslaw as well as cucumbers onions tomatoes in red wine vinegar and a dab of sweet relish .

CraigThompson 09-02-2021 12:18 PM

I made the crock pot venison stew again last night to bring into the shop today . And like in the last few times I added a can of green beans and a can of carrots . This time however I was in a hurry and grabbed two regular cans of corn from the cabinet instead of creamed corn . After I got finished I realized my mistake and thought it might not be to tastey . However some of them here seemed to like it better with regular corn as opposed to the creamed variety . Oh yes on a side note I used tenderloin the last couple times I made this stuff . Can't really say the tenderloin made the flavor any better but the meat did seem a tad more tender .:whistle:

John Dallas 09-02-2021 01:03 PM

I Dunno. Tenderloin should be done by itself. Why bury the flavor in a sauce?

CraigThompson 09-02-2021 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Dallas (Post 342589)
I Dunno. Tenderloin should be done by itself. Why bury the flavor in a sauce?

I use whats in the freezer and need to empty the freezer as i expect the first deeror two of this season will be killed this saturday .

Garth Gustafson 09-02-2021 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraigThompson (Post 338995)
Made Garth’s crock pot stew two days ago . I add green beans and carrots in the mix . Also some coleslaw as well as cucumbers onions tomatoes in red wine vinegar and a dab of sweet relish .

Craig, I like the direction you’re taking. A little bit like old fashioned Brunswick Stew but with a twist.

CraigThompson 09-02-2021 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garth Gustafson (Post 342611)
Craig, I like the direction you’re taking. A little bit like old fashioned Brunswick Stew but with a twist.

Garth I do more by accident than actual planned . But I will say one crock pot full of the stew today was totally consumed by six of us :whistle:

Bruce Hering 09-02-2021 11:57 PM

I do not use the creamed corn but rather the regular corn and have done so for many years. However, I dont put tenderloins in a stew.... They are for grilling and slicing with an added sour cream and capper sauce to be added over the top by the consumer.

JMHO.....

CraigThompson 09-03-2021 03:00 AM

When one each year has the backstraps and fish out of a dozen or more deer each year the special wears off a bit . Matter of fact that’s usually all the venison I keep at the house other then a couple pounds of ground . The rest of the deboned venison goes to my gunsmith buddy to grind up . If I killed two or three a year I’d buy into that , but two or three to me is a good day .

Brian Dudley 11-20-2021 07:53 AM

I made this hunters delight recipe again the other night. This time i added a little pepper and some beef stock to it. And some cornstarch slurry at the end to help thicken. Wow. Good.