Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Wild Game Recipes (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Hunters Delight - Venison Crock Pot (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=31662)

CraigThompson 01-22-2021 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joseph Sheerin (Post 321252)
Thanks, I have 3 Whitetail, and 3 Muleys in my freezer, always look'n for new recipes to mix things up. Yes, we eat a lot of venison. :D

We pretty much butcher ourselves . I’ll skin gut and cut up right after I kill them . But I cut the backstraps and tenderloin off bag them and put in my freezer . The rest I cut off the bone as the deer hangs from the gambrel . The boned out stuff I give to my gunsmith buddy to make burger . He usually grinds at the end of the season . But after making four pots of this stew I cut out four bags of the stuff he’d normally grind . This stew thing is looking like an excellent work saver all around :whistle:

CraigThompson 07-21-2021 06:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Made Garth’s crock pot stew two days ago . I add green beans and carrots in the mix . Also some coleslaw as well as cucumbers onions tomatoes in red wine vinegar and a dab of sweet relish .

CraigThompson 09-02-2021 12:18 PM

I made the crock pot venison stew again last night to bring into the shop today . And like in the last few times I added a can of green beans and a can of carrots . This time however I was in a hurry and grabbed two regular cans of corn from the cabinet instead of creamed corn . After I got finished I realized my mistake and thought it might not be to tastey . However some of them here seemed to like it better with regular corn as opposed to the creamed variety . Oh yes on a side note I used tenderloin the last couple times I made this stuff . Can't really say the tenderloin made the flavor any better but the meat did seem a tad more tender .:whistle:

John Dallas 09-02-2021 01:03 PM

I Dunno. Tenderloin should be done by itself. Why bury the flavor in a sauce?

CraigThompson 09-02-2021 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Dallas (Post 342589)
I Dunno. Tenderloin should be done by itself. Why bury the flavor in a sauce?

I use whats in the freezer and need to empty the freezer as i expect the first deeror two of this season will be killed this saturday .

Garth Gustafson 09-02-2021 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraigThompson (Post 338995)
Made Garth’s crock pot stew two days ago . I add green beans and carrots in the mix . Also some coleslaw as well as cucumbers onions tomatoes in red wine vinegar and a dab of sweet relish .

Craig, I like the direction you’re taking. A little bit like old fashioned Brunswick Stew but with a twist.

CraigThompson 09-02-2021 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garth Gustafson (Post 342611)
Craig, I like the direction you’re taking. A little bit like old fashioned Brunswick Stew but with a twist.

Garth I do more by accident than actual planned . But I will say one crock pot full of the stew today was totally consumed by six of us :whistle:

Bruce Hering 09-02-2021 11:57 PM

I do not use the creamed corn but rather the regular corn and have done so for many years. However, I dont put tenderloins in a stew.... They are for grilling and slicing with an added sour cream and capper sauce to be added over the top by the consumer.

JMHO.....

CraigThompson 09-03-2021 03:00 AM

When one each year has the backstraps and fish out of a dozen or more deer each year the special wears off a bit . Matter of fact that’s usually all the venison I keep at the house other then a couple pounds of ground . The rest of the deboned venison goes to my gunsmith buddy to grind up . If I killed two or three a year I’d buy into that , but two or three to me is a good day .

Brian Dudley 11-20-2021 07:53 AM

I made this hunters delight recipe again the other night. This time i added a little pepper and some beef stock to it. And some cornstarch slurry at the end to help thicken. Wow. Good.