Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Parker Restoration (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Why do this to a perfectly good sear???? (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1613)

Jack Cronkhite 03-27-2010 01:31 PM

Why do this to a perfectly good sear????

1 Attachment(s)
For those who recall "second chance" gun, a very rusted up seized VH, here is another what the heck issue. This sear has been filed along the length of the shank both sides plus drilled almost through. Didn't know about the hole until after the "Gunk" soak. Heck of a way to bring the weight down by 1/10 of an ounce :shock:

So............ any thoughts as to why someone would have deliberately done this, actually thinking it to be a good idea? The other sear is untouched, except by rust. BTW, numbers match the gun.

Jack

Dave Suponski 03-27-2010 06:52 PM

Not a clue Jack..

Francis Morin 03-27-2010 07:02 PM

File or Grind? Why indeed!!

My guess is- if it was done with files, had to take some time. Sears and their mating contacts with the hammers- today 6150 Chrome Vanadium steels- RC 52-56 possibly. Not sure what grade steel Parker used, or heat treating range either

If this "work??" was done with a grinder, even with a quench and grind process, resultant heat input can pull hardness from the sear,- NOT a good thing. Also looks like the re-bored axle hole is out of round and with a drill bit with differing shoulder angles on the flutes, as evidence by the surface meatl "sprue" that was not ground off flush to the surface.

For whatever reasons this sear was altered, pretty sloppy bit of work- IMO!!

Dean Romig 03-27-2010 07:29 PM

Nope, that hole has been drilled perpendicular to the 'axle' hole. I can't even take a WAG as to why it was done.

Jim Akins 03-27-2010 07:40 PM

The hole might have been an attempt to replace a broken sear spring, no ideas about the grinding.

Jim A.

Dave Suponski 03-27-2010 08:22 PM

Francis from my experience I don,t think the hardness is anywhere near that high. A sear being that hard would fracture.

Jack Cronkhite 03-27-2010 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Romig (Post 15838)
Nope, that hole has been drilled perpendicular to the 'axle' hole. I can't even take a WAG as to why it was done.

Correct and almost through.

Jack Cronkhite 03-27-2010 09:35 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Akins (Post 15839)
The hole might have been an attempt to replace a broken sear spring, no ideas about the grinding.

Jim A.

Jim, I think you may win the prize. It also had a real jerry-rigged home built spring. When I dismantled, the end of the spring was not stuck in the hole but maybe it had been at some time. I only discovered the hole when finally getting all the rust off. Here's that spring. The wood screw was driven across the stock head as a poor man's stock pin. I guess it worked (the head is cracked inside). The other spring was normal. Still wondering why the sear was filed/ground.

Francis Morin 04-08-2010 09:24 AM

Sears- but No Roebucks

Jack-- still waiting to see what your wishes are re: 12 Trojan parts-- Dave may be right about the Rockwell range- hardness depends on the analysis of the steel, I would guess the hammer notch to be slightly harder than the tongue of the sear that fits it- maybe not.