Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Foto Fridays (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   That Time Of Year Again (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9439)

edgarspencer 01-31-2013 08:14 PM

That Time Of Year Again

1 Attachment(s)
After a wild night of 40+ MPH winds and lots of rain, the barometer shot up, and we collected first thing. Made about 5 gallons of Light Amber. Not much sleep for the next 4 weeks.

charlie cleveland 01-31-2013 09:05 PM

do you ever have any extra for sale ... charlie

Dean Romig 01-31-2013 10:23 PM

Now I won't be able to get that '70's song out of my head... thanks Eggar!!

*There's a crazy little sha-ack along the track..* :cuss:

Maple squeezin's and some Tennesee nectar - Jack Daniel's Old No. 7, Mm-m!

Rick Losey 01-31-2013 10:33 PM

mmmmm,

i do miss my maple trees,

it was a hard job, split the wood - gather sap- boil - skim -filter,

then my son ( very young back then ) would pour a water glass of hard earned syrup to drink with a peanut butter sandwich when I wasn't looking

took me a while to find out why it would just disapear :clap:

edgarspencer 01-31-2013 11:07 PM

Charley, years ago I would make between 70 and 100 gallons a season, but as I get olde, and no one helping out, I just do what I can do. This will be my 28th year doing it, having only missed last year when I was in and out of the hospital. The year before, I did 75 gallons by myself and between all the wood preparation, which starts right after we finish boiling for the season (end of March, roughly) and all the night of boiling, I was about done in. I have always sold the syrup locally. My wife is my best salesperson and she blackmails everyone in her office, and all throughout her other offices. I've gotten a few others started on their own operations, and one of the PGCA's newest members is one of my former trainees. He collected over 500 gallons of sap today, and all I can do is smile. That's the difference 25 years makes.
I set out in the Land Rover (after bleeding the clutch, adjusting the brakes and drying the ignition) and collect 200 gallons from my 150 taps. I lit off at 10 this morning and came in at 7, boiling off everything I collected. I'll sleep soundly tonight (I'd better, I have to do it all over again tomorrow) but Keith will be boiling all night and well into tomorrow, before he even heads out to collect again.
My biggest issue with selling outside of my area is that postage is so damn high for even a pint.
It's now just after 11pm, and I still have to go out, kill any remaining fire, and close up the sugar house, as it's going to be cold tonight. Freeze ups are a big problem.

Dean Romig 02-01-2013 05:42 AM

................................:violin:

Gary Carmichael Sr 02-01-2013 06:11 AM

Edgar, I applaud you! old habits die hard, keep doing it as long as you can. As we age things do not get done as fast, but they get done never the less! Gary

Dean Romig 02-01-2013 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary Carmichael Sr (Post 95030)
Edgar, I applaud you! old habits die hard, keep doing it as long as you can. As we age things do not get done as fast, except when sliding and tumbling down the hill in back of his place... that happens real fast!... but they get done never the less! Gary

:whistle:

edgarspencer 02-01-2013 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Romig (Post 95037)
except when sliding and tumbling down the hill in back of his place... that happens real fast!...

Yup, I've done that, in snowshoes, carrying 2 five gallon pails of sap.
I wised up eventually and put about 100 of the taps on that steep hill, onto tubing.

Kurt Densmore 02-01-2013 11:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Very nice timber frame "shack" !! Nice evaporator and auto draw off unit. What is the radio in the back? I wouldn't mind seeing a few more pics of your evaporator set up.

Too cold in MI to be putting out taps, been 18 F since I got up this AM. No warm up in the 10 day forecast. Working on the old Grimm 2x6 today. Over the summer we poured concrete and enclosed the lean to. I added a lot of windows for light. Moved the evaporator back in there last weekend. Heaters are going so I can mortar the fire bricks. If I have time I would like to build a parallel flow pre-heater and a sealed hood. Probably not going to happen this year.

Good luck with your sugaring,
Kurt

Last years set up....