Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Parker Discussions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   1903 Parker Info (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=26485)

Joseph Gallo 02-10-2019 10:43 PM

1903 Parker Info

6 Attachment(s)
Hi folks, I am new to this forum. I have a small shop in Northern New Jersey. This week I got a nice looking Parker Brothers side by side. The serial number puts it in the 1903 range. Here is my question... The serial number on the barrel does not match the serial number for the receiver. Is this common and does it affect the value? Any input would be appreciated. I have a boat load of pictures if that helps

Joe G.

CraigThompson 02-11-2019 02:09 AM

#127,370 was 1904 . What’s the number on the barrels ? IMHO if the number on the barrels doesn’t match the number on the water table it detracts from the value .

CraigThompson 02-11-2019 02:12 AM

Just saw the barrel numbers . Thats 1907 I believe .

Joseph Gallo 02-11-2019 05:58 AM

Thanks. I cringe anytime I get a Parker in for resale. They are the hardest things to identify properly. Gets to be a little sticky sometimes when it's a consignment like this one is. Always want to do the best for the customer as well as the buyer. Not easy being the monkey in the middle. haha

Harry Collins 02-11-2019 06:54 AM

The serial number on the frame indicates a GH with 28" Damascus barrels and capped pistol grip. The barrels on the gun now are 28" Vulcan Steel if serial number 148395.

Dean Romig 02-11-2019 07:17 AM

You would do well to get a research letter on the serial number on the frame. It may have been sent back to Parker Bros. To have the Damascus barrels replaced with fluid steel barrels. The ammo companies and gun manufacturers put a big scare into a lot of folks when nitro powders first came out, saying that Damascus barrels were unsafe to shoot with the same loading recipes used for BP and bulk smokeless. Vulcan Steel barrels were the least expensive replacement barrels.

They may not have been factory replacements on yours but if they were, your gun will retain it’s value.

The stock however, is a non-factory replacement and that sheds a questionable light on the barrels being a factory replacement.

Brian Dudley 02-11-2019 09:58 AM

Well, the mismatched numbers were your first clue to a discrepancy. The poor fitment of the barrels would be the next clue.

The barrels are from another gun. The barrels are VH grade, the gun is a GH grade. It diminishes the value greatly.

Dean Romig 02-11-2019 10:16 AM

Those barrel flats have some pretty odd stamps for 143XXX serial number range....

Mark Ray 02-11-2019 10:53 AM

pretty light barrels for a 1 1/2 frame...and marked Skeet and Skeet..I think the extra marks are from the gunsmith that fitted the barrels to the gun....probably cut the chokes skeet and skeet at the same time...It also looks like the stock may be straight wristed with a short original tang....? cant tell for sure....a letter on the barrels might tell more of the story as well.

Joseph Gallo 02-11-2019 10:57 AM

More bad news... Lol. Thank you!