Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Parker Hammer Guns (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Long Hammer Playing Skeet (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=33719)

Dean Weber 07-09-2021 10:00 AM

Long Hammer Playing Skeet

https://i.imgur.com/Wrt5hKe.jpg

Decided to see if a very long hammer could keep up with the boys at Skeet. The picture shows the perspective of the long barrels (36"). Alas, not HOA, but was a lot of fun.

Dave Noreen 07-09-2021 10:08 AM

Careful!! You may start a stampede of skeet shooters dumping their 32-inch guns for longer, just like they did the 26- and 28-inch guns of my day.

CraigThompson 07-09-2021 12:30 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I've shot my 36" hammer 8 gauge at skeet . For a regular round it didn't work so great but backwards doubles at all stations it kinda excelled . To me with the gun the length of barrels wasn't the issue . The issue was stopping that heavy SOB and changing direction for doubles :rotf:

On the other hand I shot regular skeet with my hammerless 8 gauge with 34" and it was a bit lighter but the bigger contributing factor was slightly more open chokes and with that one I broke a couple 23 rounds . But it's like any gun if you shoot it long enough and get used to it eventually your scores "should" increase .

charlie cleveland 07-09-2021 02:51 PM

those eights are awesome...charlie

Bill Murphy 07-09-2021 05:00 PM

My barely ten pound 30" DH eight is what skeet is all about. Maybe you guys should think about cutting yours back. Don't look for an original. Mine is the only 30" hammerless eight out there, or in the serialization book. I'm sure there are cut off hammer guns out there, though.

CraigThompson 07-10-2021 04:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Murphy (Post 338206)
My barely ten pound 30" DH eight is what skeet is all about. Maybe you guys should think about cutting yours back. Don't look for an original. Mine is the only 30" hammerless eight out there, or in the serialization book. I'm sure there are cut off hammer guns out there, though.

The PH according to the factory letter was bored for buckshot and it measures about ten thousandths more open than my hammer gun . I will guarantee you anytine I break 23 out of 25 on the skeet field the two I miss are no fault of the gun . And that reminds me I’ve yet to pattern that gun with the 000000 buck loads or any other size buck for that matter . Virginia as of this year has an early antlerless season starting 9/1/21 , might just cart that one along as a couple of my spots that time of year will be quite tight a perfect place for buckshot .

Bill Murphy 07-10-2021 09:52 AM

Dean, that is a really nice looking skeet house. Is it a prefab or kit building?

Dean Romig 07-10-2021 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraigThompson (Post 338242)
The PH according to the factory letter was bored for buckshot and it measures about ten thousandths more open than my hammer gun . I will guarantee you anytine I break 23 out of 25 on the skeet field the two I miss are no fault of the gun . And that reminds me I’ve yet to pattern that gun with the 000000 buck loads or any other size buck for that matter . Virginia as of this year has an early antlerless season starting 9/1/21 , might just cart that one along as a couple of my spots that time of year will be quite tight a perfect place for buckshot .

What do you use for a "cart" to haul that one from your vehicle to your stand?:cool:

CraigThompson 07-10-2021 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Romig (Post 338261)
What do you use for a "cart" to haul that one from your vehicle to your stand?:cool:

“Shanks Mule” (my shoulder) :rotf:

charlie cleveland 07-10-2021 05:11 PM

bought me a leather sling to use on my eight bore....charlie