Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Shotgun Shell Reloading (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Pierced primer (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=8240)

Robin Lewis 10-04-2012 12:58 PM

Pierced primer

I have a Parker hammer gun that I have shot many times but on two or three occasions I found the spent shell's primers had a hole in them as I extracted them.

What would cause a primer to be pierced AND what are the effects and dangers? Is it the shells or the gun?

Paul Harm 10-04-2012 01:56 PM

It's the gun or primers. Some claim the Chedditte primers will do that. Or, one of your firing pins are a bit too long or too pointed. I see it off and on and don't think there's any danger.

Dave Suponski 10-04-2012 02:00 PM

I agree with Paul. I have only seen this happen with Cheddite primers. That isn't to say it couldn't happen with other brands. Rob, Check the nose of the firing pins. Sometimes just stoning and polishing them a bit solves the problem.

John Dallas 10-04-2012 04:10 PM

Isn't the pierced hole a route for blowback? (Make sure you're wearing your glasses)

Richard Flanders 10-05-2012 02:19 AM

I get pierced primers - any brand - mostly with hammer guns that have strong main springs and longer than most firing pins. I think that primers used to be a fair bit thicker and tougher. I get a bit of blowback and am careful to clean the firing pins.

John Farrell 10-08-2012 12:17 PM

If you're using your own reloads, try seating your primers a little deeper in the base of the shell if you have an adjustable seating depth reloader. You'll be moving the primer further away from the "too long" firing hammer or pin. Of course, when you start using a primer with a thicker primer cup body, you will not have the striker force sufficient to get good ignition (maybe).

John Campbell 10-08-2012 05:08 PM

Bindle:
Firing pin tips should be hemispherical and protrude no further than .050 from the breech face. With this correct and good primers, the problem should go away. But... every pierced primer allows gas and carbon back into the action and stock cuts. Too much is never good for either.

Best, Kensal

Gary Carmichael Sr 10-09-2012 01:16 PM

Kensal, Is .050 for all types of firing pins, straight and the offset pins. Gary

John Campbell 10-09-2012 05:18 PM

Gary:
As a general rule, yes. Many are a tad shorter and work just fine though.

Best, Kensal

Rob Wright 03-22-2014 02:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I am still in shock and mourning; a pierced Cheddite Primer and associated blowback blew apart the head of my Parker VHE stock this morning. Shell was a reload (mine) and can't help but think it was my own error, but I can't see anything wrong with the spent casing other than the primer is pierced, although perhaps the hull is expanded slightly more than other cases. Case looks clean with no signs of excess pressure, primer was fully seated, crimp looked normal, etc. All I know is that my beautiful 1929 gun is in sad shape. Sign.