Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Parker Discussions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Background info - non Blued Finish (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=24606)

Bryan Perry 07-02-2018 08:18 PM

Background info - non Blued Finish

3 Attachment(s)
Looking for some background that might explain why this gun does not appear to have a dark finish... the wood is beautiful! Any insight would be much appreciated. I am assuming this is a Trojan model. Any general advise or comments on the gun? This will be a new addition if all goes well. Thanks, bryan

charlie cleveland 07-02-2018 08:21 PM

really nice wood on that gun and the gun looks to be a keeper to me...charlie

William Davis 07-03-2018 05:38 AM

It’s been cleaned and polished, stock seems to have some sort of treatment too. Is that wood grain or applied grain.

WillIiam

Rick Riddell 07-03-2018 05:40 AM

All the bluing and case colors are gone, giving it that white or silver look. I was curious about the wood as well, was it flamed?

Bill Murphy 07-03-2018 06:38 AM

It looks like a maple restock, very interesting.

Bryan Perry 07-03-2018 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by William Davis (Post 247401)
It’s been cleaned and polished, stock seems to have some sort of treatment too. Is that wood grain or applied grain.

WillIiam

Thanks for the reply, I am in the process of buying the gun so I have the same kinds of questions. It sounds like the original stock would have likely been walnut but the pattern is similar to a tiger maple. It could be that the pattern was applied as others have suggested. I will know more in a week or so but I really appreciate the comments and questions from everyone.

Rick Riddell 07-03-2018 08:12 AM

Awesome keep us posted!

Dean Romig 07-03-2018 08:21 AM

It is a restock - probably with wood from a grade 2 gun. Trojans did not come with a capped pistol grip.
Sure would like to see more of the forend. If it is latched that would suggest donor barrels too.

Brian Dudley 07-03-2018 09:07 AM

Parkers have blued barrels/trigger guards. And all other metal is case colored. This particular gun has either had all of it’s original finish worn off or removed.

The wood is not original. Not from another gun, just plain non-factory wood. The type of wood was not used on Parkers, and the shape of the stock is just plain not right, especially in the grip.

Not that any of that means the gun will not go bang and do it’s purpose. But i just hope you are not considering paying more than $400-500 on it.

Channing Will 07-03-2018 09:43 AM

It looks like a unfinished project. I can't tell from the pictures but it appears the forend was checkered with a custom pattern and there is no checkering on the stock. Whoever started the project likely prepped the receiver and barrels but never got around to completing the job.