Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Website & Forum - Help & Assistance (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Stock Bending Suggestions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=29299)

Daniel B Sweet 02-07-2020 06:30 PM

Stock Bending Suggestions

I would like to have some cast off and toe out removed from my CH stock, looking for suggestions on someone to safely do that work in a "reasonable" amount of time. Thanks in advance for the help.

Bill Murphy 02-08-2020 10:36 AM

For a minor bend, my advice would be to do it yourself, after researching methods. A minor bend, done at home, is not likely to damage your stock. However, step one would be to determine why you want the bend done. Are you lefthanded and trying to correct a previous bend that was done to suit a right handed shooter? Is this a standard dimension stock which will be the first of many guns in your collection to be bent?

Daniel B Sweet 02-08-2020 11:18 AM

Bill,
Thanks for your input, currently the gun has 1/2" of cast off that I want brought back to as close to neutral as can be safely done. I think I need a real pro to safely get this accomplished.

Jay Gardner 02-08-2020 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel B Sweet (Post 292796)
Bill,
Thanks for your input, currently the gun has 1/2" of cast off that I want brought back to as close to neutral as can be safely done. I think I need a real pro to safely get this accomplished.

That may be approaching the limit of what can be done. I would definitely have the stock evaluated by a professional. As you are in NY there should be at least a couple of options in terms of competent stock guys.

Brian Dudley 02-08-2020 07:06 PM

Do it yourself huh? I take it you suggest a day in the hot sun with a bag of shot on it for persuasion?

I would not recommend messing with that.

And usually I would not even recommend bending as the results can vary. My one and only experience with having a stock bent did not go well at all. I would have been better throwing the $300 right in the garbage.

However, bending for cast and toe is usually much more successful than for drop. So I would say that you would not have too much to worry about. Except for the possibility of finish damage IF the hot oil method is used.

Keith Warner in TX uses hot water cycled through tubing that is wrapped around the wrist to get his stocks to move. There may be others that utilize this method, but it seems to me that method would be much better for the finish on the wood.
I have not used Keith before for stock bending. But if I had to try it again, I would use him. He does guarantee his work.

Daniel B Sweet 02-08-2020 09:01 PM

Brian,
Thanks for your suggestion it is much appreciated. I looked for Keith Warner in Texas but the only gunsmith I could find with that name was in Tennessee.

Brian Dudley 02-08-2020 09:08 PM

Yes, I was mistaken. It is TN.

Jay Gardner 02-08-2020 09:08 PM

Check when Bachelder’s. Pretty sure they use the same technique to bend stocks.

Daniel B Sweet 02-08-2020 09:10 PM

Brian,
I appreciate your suggestion, I searched for Keith Warner in Texas but the only gunsmith with that name which came up was in Tennessee, do you think that is the gentleman you refer to.

Robert Bork 02-09-2020 10:42 AM

I have a gun that had the stock bent... they used a car... it didn't survive