Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Parker Discussions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Other Vice's (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5573)

Rich Anderson 11-12-2011 08:11 PM

Other Vice's

The Parkers are wiped down and will take a brief rest as the Michigan firearms Deer season begins on Tuesday.

I have as big a case of Rifleitus as I do Parkeritus. I like em all but favor Pre 64 Winchester M70's. As Deer season looms on the horizon I'll take a couple more to the range tomorrow just in case they need to come off the bench and hit the field. My favorite is a FWT 358 with a 225gr Sierria in thick cover it's a stopper. The 270 and a 300 H&H will be backup to a Std grade 257 Roberts and two custom built rifles a 257 AI built on a pre 64 action and a 7X57AI built on a Sako action.

I think a different gun every couple of days keeps things interesting. Life's to short to hunt with just one gun....but thats just me and I am a few degrees off plumb when it comes to fine firearms:rotf:

william faulk 11-12-2011 09:46 PM

The Mauser 7x57 is my all time favorite.I have a old Ruger 77 full stock
with a 2x7 Austrian scope that has laid many a big buck low and hogs and Fallow deer and just about everything else that walks or runs in Texas.
Good hunting to you my friend.
Bill

charlie cleveland 11-12-2011 09:53 PM

im not putting the parker s away im taking the old shotgun with punkin ball load along with some sort of rifle usally a 270 or a 7 x 57 r drilling... getem at 30 yards with the parker anduse the rifle anything farther out.... i too hunt with several differant rifles during deer season but it cost me a deer ever once in awhile hunting with differant guns... couuld not find the safety on a sks rifle one day cost me a least a shot on a nice 6 point... does this ever happen to you using different rifles.... charlie

King Brown 11-12-2011 10:30 PM

If there's a better calibre than the 7 X 57 Mauser I'd like to know what it is.

Frank Cronin 11-12-2011 10:40 PM

Good luck Richard and hope you get something with that nice .358 Winchester. I never heard of the .358 until an old friend showed me his Browning BLR (steel frame) with an empty box of Winchester 200 grain Silvertips . He hasn't shot it for years because he can't find ammo for it. So I bought some Lee dies for .358 and used his shell casings. He was thrilled when I brought him over his old box plus some extra cases I bought and reloaded for him.

I've shot the BLR dialing in the scope and what a nice round and gun. It printed some nice groups and the recoil really wasn't as bad I thought it would be compared to my 30-06. I have the new Super grade Model 70 with the pre-'64 style controlled-round feed and new designed trigger action.

This round has a cult following and seems to be gaining some popularity.

I have in the past looked for one but since reading your post I've searched again the auction sites for .358 Winchester model 70 pre '64.

You are a bad influence!

calvin humburg 11-13-2011 07:09 AM

Pre 64 300 H&H gets my vote. Just nalstagic (good luck with that word!) ch I think it started all belted mags?

Jean Swanson 11-13-2011 07:22 AM

Rich :

I have hunted with a .358 Win Mag for years and have always used the following as a real STOPPER !!!

Federal Premiums with 250gr Nosler boat tail ----expensive ,but effective .

John Dallas 11-13-2011 07:24 AM

l'll be taking one of my Ruger #1's into camp - either 25.06 or 30.06. Also will be introducing my grandson (the same one who shot his first ducks this fall) to deer hunting. He'll be shooting a left handed Ruger M77 in .270.

Rich Anderson 11-13-2011 08:40 AM

I had the 358 out one day and a very nice buck was chaseing a doe but as he was over my self imposed 200yd max with that rifle I just had to enjoy watching him. He was probably a solid 300 yards out but if I had the Weatherby 257 he migh have rested in the freezer. It was a dead calm morning and I had a solid rest. Not an easy shot but not overly difficult either.

It's off to the range with the 270 and 300 H&H....maybe I'll take the 264 Win Mag as well:whistle:

John Campbell 11-13-2011 10:17 AM

COB:
Whatever rifle you choose, I hope you don't drop a buck with Bovine TB. That's one reason why I quit hunting in MI.

Best, Kensal