Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Hunting with Parkers (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   2 nd day hunt report (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9981)

charlie cleveland 03-17-2013 02:23 PM

2 nd day hunt report

i did not get to go turkey hunting the first day the season opened in mississippi on friday...first time in my life its ever done this...well went saturday it was a good day no wind and about 45 degree temperature..i heard no gobbling going on early that morning but about 8.30 a m i called and a hen answered me across a small creek it took them about 15 minutes before they flew into the field i was set up in..they really liked the hen decoys one little fellow with about a half inch beard fuzzed up and was rubbing shoulders with her... 2 nd little fellow had no beard that i could see and he could only attemt about a half fuzzed up stance..there was seven of them they finally wondered off after not getting any attention from the hen decoys.. in about 30 minutes 3 long beards came into field at about 2 hundred yards i never could get them any closer...i had to leave at 9.30 so no turkey killed...then went this morning i only heard one gobble and never heard another peep.again left at 8.00 oclock to go to church so will be going early in the morning totin that old ten ga parker... charlie

Dennis V. Nix 03-17-2013 04:35 PM

Darn it Charlie if only you had taken your 8 bore the 200 yard shot would have been easy. Darn the bad luck anyway. I know you are wanting to make it sporting for the turkey and give them a chance to come in closer. Ha...

Dennis

Stephen Hodges 03-17-2013 04:40 PM

Charlie, we have to wait until May 3rd to Turkey hunt here in NH!!!!!!!!!!! I was at my camp in Pittsburg, NH this weekend getting in a little late riding, and it was -6 this morning when we got up!!!!!!!! Good luck hunting.

Mills Morrison 03-17-2013 06:45 PM

I went several times this weekend. For all of our talk on here about long range shots, I had one come up about 5 paces from me. I heard calling and calling and next I knew he darted from behind a tree and almost ran into me. He escaped. I took my son Harry out Saturday afternoon and we heard some but they would not come. We saw them in a small field on the way back and there was about five hens for every one gobbler. Went out this morning and had three gobbling, but then all the hens on Dad's place found them and that was that.

charlie cleveland 03-18-2013 11:33 AM

them hens will sure mess a good thing up in a hurry..it s raining hear today i got up early but only heard one hen....

Mills Morrison 03-18-2013 07:35 PM

To quote my brother, you can't compete with the real thing. The season is early and Georgia opens up this weekend, so hopefully luck will change.

will evans 03-19-2013 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mills Morrison (Post 100799)
For all of our talk on here about long range shots, I had one come up about 5 paces from me. I heard calling and calling and next I knew he darted from behind a tree and almost ran into me. He escaped.

Such is life sometimes...:rotf::rotf::rotf: He's probably telling that story to impress the hens.

Mills Morrison 03-19-2013 11:46 AM

You know, I bet he was doing that Saturday afternoon when I saw them with all the hens.:rotf::banghead::crying:

charlie cleveland 03-20-2013 05:26 AM

well i got up at 4.00 this morning fixing too load up the truck and head to the woods...my uncle called me last night said he got a gobbler that weighed 20 lbs and sporting a 9 inch beard...the ve not been gobbling much here nothing was heard yesterday or seen... gotta go... charlie

charlie cleveland 03-20-2013 04:37 PM

what a day its been today im tierd and wore out...was in my blind by 6.30 with decoys put out..man was it cold a fella got be part crazy to git out and set and freeze looking for a turkeyany way i heard not a peep...the sun finally poped out about 10.00 but was not warming me up much i had been throwing my best calls into the wind but still no gobble...just then i thought i heard something and i had it was 2 dogs a really running something then i seen what it was 3 deer old does came close enough to have got them with the bird shot...i decided to go and eat at the house this was at 11.00 by 12.00 i had my bycickle loaded up into truck and old single barrel 12 with a rope tied on it for a sling...that bycikle sure let me cover a lot of ground but still no turkey seen...got back to truck and went looking at some large fields using the bino..but no turkey seen by 4.00 i called it a day.... charlie