Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Parker Reproductions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   28ga. Repro w/28" bbls. choked IMP. CYL/IMP. CYL (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=36730)

Greg Baehman 06-25-2022 12:28 PM

28ga. Repro w/28" bbls. choked IMP. CYL/IMP. CYL

1 Attachment(s)
First one that I've seen, likely a special order.

https://www.gunsinternational.com/gu...n_id=101977947

Factory choked:

Bill Davis 06-25-2022 12:51 PM

Priced pretty aggressively!

Bill Murphy 06-25-2022 07:58 PM

I would rather have double triggers and condition. Oh, well.

CraigThompson 06-25-2022 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Davis (Post 366594)
Priced pretty aggressively!

That’s putting it nicely :whistle:

Chris Travinski 06-25-2022 10:13 PM

The wood on that gun is very nice.

Paul Ehlers 06-26-2022 10:03 AM

This is probably the first factory IC/IC choking I've seen on 28ga-28" barrels. Does the choking add any extra value? I doubt it! Especially on a used gun with some wear issues.

Aggressively priced is being kind:shock:

Ken Hill 06-26-2022 10:55 AM

I thought I was the only one who thought the price was over the top! Chokes can't add too much to the price.

Ken

Greg Baehman 06-26-2022 11:40 AM

I think most of us would agree that this particular gun is a rare bird. It's likely none of us here have ever encountered a 28ga. Repro w/28" bbls. factory choked IC/IC before. So in that light, to those that value rarity, to those that value originality, to those that simply have got to have the 28" barrel length the IC/IC factory chokes add value.

How much is the question? To those that do not value rarity and originality would perhaps only add the cost to relieve the customarily found M/F chokes to the value -- maybe $100 or so. To those that value rarity, originality and the 28" barrel length, it could be a whole lot more.

Having never seen or heard of another 28ga. 28" Repro factory choked IC/IC, I had some doubts. So I contacted the seller, who is not the owner and asked him to send me a pic of the barrel flats and also asked him to ask the owner how they arrived at the asking price. He got back to me with the pic and the owner's response of its 28" bbls., condition and rarity. The seller told me that all finishes are original, with not a mark on the stock, forend or metal.

John Dallas 06-26-2022 02:14 PM

What's the reason for having identical chokes in each barrel? Might as well shoot a jamomatic

David C Porter 06-26-2022 02:30 PM

I also asked for a better picture & for him to clean off the dried grease/rust/or dirt from the serial number area so I could better evaluate the stamping. He sent me the same picture with the crud on it. I emailed him back again asking for a better picture with the crud cleaned off. He never responded back. Also, if you look at picture #4 you can see chips of finish & wood missing where the buttstock bottom meets the receiver & the forearm meets the metal at the receiver end. Looking very closely the stamping on the right barrel & bluing discoloring doesn't look quite right. I have a feeling this was originally a mod choke & possible at the factory they may have removed the MOD stamp, opened up the barrel, & restamped IMP CYL. Before I'd consider buying I'd want to see this area cleaned up, chokes measured. The description this guy is giving seems a little embellished to me.

edgarspencer 06-26-2022 02:40 PM

Double click the last picture. Not a mark on it? Hmmm

Ken Hill 06-26-2022 04:34 PM

There are some rare guns out there, but I've never seen a gun marked because of the chokes. It would make a nice USED 28 gauge and should be priced accordingly.

Ken

David C Porter 06-26-2022 07:26 PM

This guy finally got back to me on my question: Can you clean off the crud/rust/dirt around the serial number area & resend photo? I want to know what's going on in this area.

He's not in possession of the gun & has to ask his friend next week. Besides being way over priced & not very accurate on it's description there are too many red flags on this one. I'd have to see this one in person before I'd consider buying.

mikeschneider 06-26-2022 07:47 PM

I’m no expert, but it seems like a 2 barrel set in 28 gauge Repro can
be had for $8k, give or take…but I’m probably missing something.

Bill Murphy 06-27-2022 07:55 AM

"Case colors as they came from the factory" Not in this life.

Chris Travinski 06-27-2022 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeschneider (Post 366664)
I’m no expert, but it seems like a 2 barrel set in 28 gauge Repro can
be had for $8k, give or take…but I’m probably missing something.

I believe you are spot on Mike. There are a variety of desirable reproductions for sale right now that were previously tough to find. Steel shot guns, SSCs, single barrel 28 gauge sets with 28" barrels and a lot of double trigger guns. A few of each, right now...

There is no question that the price is up but a lot of these numbers are just unrealistic. Once in a while a good buy will come up and it's gone in a day or two, but the $9,000+ two barrel set 28 ga. guns are not going anywhere. In my opinion it would have to be super nice and damn near exactly what I wanted to pay $8k.

Chris Travinski 06-27-2022 12:09 PM

https://www.gunsinternational.com/gu...n_id=101984264

This one checks ALL the boxes and is priced more that fair. Double triggers, 28", beaver tail and beautiful wood.

Dan Steingraber 06-27-2022 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Travinski (Post 366707)
https://www.gunsinternational.com/gu...n_id=101984264

This one checks ALL the boxes and is priced more that fair. Double triggers, 28", beaver tail and beautiful wood.

And the seller knows exactly what he's looking at and talking about.

David C Porter 06-27-2022 03:03 PM

The listing person just emailed me & said the seller will not answer any questions about the gun unless the prespective buyer is willing to pay full price of $11,500.00. It's hard to believe this is a honest listing.

Dan Steingraber 06-27-2022 03:05 PM

:rotf::rotf::rotf::bigbye:

Quote:

Originally Posted by David C Porter (Post 366715)
The listing person just emailed me & said the seller will not answer any questions about the gun unless prespective buyer is willing to pay full price.

Bill Murphy 06-27-2022 04:17 PM

Field used, scratched up, worn case color Repros are not the most popular guns in this market at any reasonable price. Too many mint to new Repros out there at reasonable prices.

Greg Baehman 06-27-2022 06:14 PM

I need another 28ga. Repro like I need a hole-in-the-head. So I'm not interested at any price. Well, just about any price! :rotf: But, tell me how many 28ga., SG, BT w/28" bbls. factory choked IC/IC Repros have you seen since their introduction?

Dean Romig 06-27-2022 06:53 PM

.......None!

edgarspencer 06-28-2022 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Romig (Post 366728)
.......None!

So, I'm thinking it couldn't have been a very popular item. In this case, I don't think rarity equates to value.

Dean Romig 06-28-2022 11:54 AM

Unless you collect "one of ones"

...which may someday be important in the world of Parker Repros. Or maybe it's important now?

Greg Baehman 06-28-2022 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edgarspencer (Post 366752)
So, I'm thinking it couldn't have been a very popular item. In this case, I don't think rarity equates to value.

Why then do so many owners of 28ga.28" M/F choked Repros incessantly complain about them and then go on to have metal ground out of them to supposedly make the gun more valuable for their needs?

mikeschneider 06-28-2022 09:19 PM

I’m taking my 28 gauge with M/F chokes to
Jim Eyster in Ohio to open them up.

edgarspencer 06-28-2022 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Baehman (Post 366776)
Why then do so many owners of 28ga.28" M/F choked Repros incessantly complain about them and then go on to have metal ground out of them to supposedly make the gun more valuable for their needs?

By Gawd Greg, you sure do get your back up easily.
I don't know how many people with 28" M&F choked barrels 'Grind' out metal, but unless they have 2bbl sets, they are generally pretty tight for upland use. Maybe quail, but certainly not for p'atridge. I have no idea if they think they're adding value, but they probably are adding usefulness.

FWIW, I have a Meriden 28" 28ga, that came (and letters) Cyl & Mod, and it's a dandy.

Greg Baehman 06-28-2022 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edgarspencer (Post 366791)
By Gawd Greg, you sure do get your back up easily.
I don't know how many people with 28" M&F choked barrels 'Grind' out metal, but unless they have 2bbl sets, they are generally pretty tight for upland use. Maybe quail, but certainly not for p'atridge. I have no idea if they think they're adding value, but they probably are adding usefulness.

FWIW, I have a Meriden 28" 28ga, that came (and letters) Cyl & Mod, and it's a dandy.

You sure do get your feathers ruffled up pretty quick there Edgar. Since you have said that you very rarely give a rats ass about alterations to a gun you own and that you're not overly concerned about exit value, maybe you oughta have some choke tubes installed in that Meriden 28" 28ga. of yours . . . it will add some usefulness. (dbl. wink!)

edgarspencer 06-29-2022 06:56 AM

You’re a funny guy Greg. Do you think it will make it as useful as IC and IC?

Bill Murphy 06-29-2022 09:10 AM

In my opinion, every 28 gauge bird gun should have at least one full choke barrel. In my advanced age, my second shot is always a full choke shot for a 28 gauge. I still haven't patterned one of those .039 choked 28 gauge Repros. The pattern probably doesn't look much different from a .020 full choke Meriden 28.

Dean Romig 06-29-2022 09:20 AM

But I doubt that any of the Parker Repros were choked to a desired pellet count within a proscribed circle at XX yards.

Bill Murphy 06-29-2022 11:23 AM

Dean, you got that right. Half of the constriction of a full choke 28 gauge Repro would result in a fine full choke pattern. .039 versus .020.

mikeschneider 06-29-2022 12:02 PM

I was thinking of going .010 and .020….I’m .016 and .035 currently…

tom tutwiler 06-30-2022 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeschneider (Post 366825)
I was thinking of going .010 and .020….I’m .016 and .035 currently…

Depends on what game you are chasing and by what method as to the chokes. If I was hunting over a good pointing breed I'd opt for .005 and .015. That assume quail/grouse/woodcock. If I was hunting over a flusher then what you recommend I'd be fine with. FWIW, I have Parker Repro 28 gauge chokes Q1 and Q2. Fine for a Woodcock where I hunt (thinking shooting in a phone booth) over a solid pointer.

mikeschneider 06-30-2022 08:02 AM

Mostly would be a sharptail/hun gun over flushers…I shoot a few other 28’s now for that hunting, but more open choked, would like one 28 that was tighter…probably a gun I’d use a bit later in the season, but before pheasants are open.

Greg Baehman 06-30-2022 12:27 PM

Can we assume Mike, the species you're targeting are typically found in short grasses in open country? Plus you're hunting over flushers. I would expect most shots would fall between 15-20 yds. up to 35-40 yds. and you've told us you have other 28s that are more open choked and you're looking for a little more choke, I would have to believe that your .016/.035 chokes would work just fine. I don't hunt huns or sharptails, but my 28ga. Repro's .014/.034 chokes work just fine on clay birds at similar distances. However, I don't rely on clay birds for sustenance.

Have you patterned your gun with the .016/.035 chokes at the typical range of your quarry and have you compared them with patterns you'd expect out of your proposed .010/.020 at the same distance? Are you shooting 3/4 or 1 oz. loads? If so, post some pics of the patterns, we'd like to see them.

Since you have a few other 28s, can we assume you're reloading for them? If you find your Repro's patterns are too tight at the range you're shooting you can always load up some spreaders. If you're not reloading, you likely have more money to burn than most or you're not taking all that many shots.

mikeschneider 06-30-2022 01:28 PM

Maybe keeping the gun as-is makes sense, but I believe .035 in a 28 gauge is Xtra full! I’ve done some patterning, and it would verify the tight left tube! I mostly hunt with 20’s and 16’s and 12’s, but I have come to enjoy my 3 28’s (Uggie grade 1, and a red label, plus the repro). I don’t shoot a lot, so I don’t reload. I did hunt the repro a bit last fall, and have shot clays with it several times. I’m driving to Ohio in about 13 months, that’s when I’ll visit Jim Eyster…plenty of time to change my mind! Thx for the help…��