Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   New User Introductions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   New Member in North Georgia (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=33235)

Walter Sippel 05-09-2021 11:14 PM

New Member in North Georgia

Hello Folks. I'm glad to be here and like several of the other new guys, I need help with my Parker.

What I have is an 1874 Lifter Action in 10 Gauge. The frame size is 02. Where the grade is supposed to be is "F 9 R". It has two sets of barrels, one is Laminated Steel and the other is Damascus Steel. It is nicely engraved with scrolls and dogs. The butt stock has a rounded knob pistol grip and is a really pretty piece of wood. The bores are in really good shape. The barrels are 30" long. I don't think it was ever shot much, if at all. I know that since the mid 1960's it's been a safe queen. If I were to grade the overall condition I would call it 95%. It has a fitted wood case.

I will be sending off for an authentication letter tomorrow.

I know pictures are needed and will do my best to get some posted soon.

Anybody have any thoughts, comments, suggestions as to what I might have?

Thanks.

David Noble 05-09-2021 11:34 PM

Walter, welcome to the forums. Your gun sounds really interesting. Have you checked to see if there are existing factory records on your gun? You should consider joining the PGCA before ordering your letter, it will save you money on the letter and you will receive the quarterly Parker Pages magazine free with the membership. You will also have access to several other forums that are for members only. I'm wondering how you determined the 1874 date of manufacture. Does it have a four digit serial number?
Please do put up some pictures! We all love pictures here.

Walter Sippel 05-09-2021 11:38 PM

Thanks David. I joined the PGCA about 20 minutes ago. And yes, a four digit serial number, 3345.

Garry L Gordon 05-10-2021 04:09 AM

Walter, your gun as you describe it sounds like a wonderful find. I can't wait to see some photographs and to learn more about it. I'm sure once you post photos, you'll have some knowledgeable replies. I hope there are records for your gun and that they reveal information consistent with gun you have.

Welcome!

Mills Morrison 05-10-2021 06:54 AM

Welcome Walter! That sounds like a very interesting Parker and one anyone would be proud to own

Walter Sippel 05-10-2021 12:30 PM

10 Attachment(s)
Well OK then. Now that the stars are out of my eyes, I have to make some corrections to my initial statement. The gun has been shot some. It has some minor pitting in the barrels six to nine inches ahead of the chambers. There are a few pits on the action as well. The muzzles and the chamber faces are clean, no dents or dings. There are some pits on the breach face. And here are some pictures. What do you fellows think?

Mills Morrison 05-10-2021 12:43 PM

That is a beautiful gun! The Damascus/Laminated two barrel set is a great touch as well

Don Bock 05-10-2021 01:16 PM

Case and all too yet. You indeed a lucky man to have gotten that! The breech face seems to indicate it has been fired a fair amount. Congrats on a real nice find.

Don

John Davis 05-10-2021 01:24 PM

That's a very nice high dollar grade gun. The research letter should be very interesting. Glad to see another Georgia member.

Bruce Hering 05-10-2021 01:38 PM

Great gun. Please let us know what the letter says.... interesting I bet.